Ativan to help sleep...no idea what was coming!

[Co...]

What’s up everyone!

Took Ativan 1mg every night and trazadone 50mg for 3 months to help me sleep – I was about to graduate college at the end of this semester and had trouble sleeping due to so much studying and stress. Doctor told me these would help, and that they were easy to get off of because of 1) low dose and 2) small time-period of usage. I also stopped going out and partying - I was determined to study and sleep well to get my degree.

Well, holy cow! I started experiencing insane symptoms of more insomnia, anxiety, and fatigue 2 weeks after starting this regimen. Doctors thought I was just having more anxiety issues, so they told me to take even more trazadone to sleep since it was “non-habit forming.”

Once I graduated, I knew I had to get off of these. With no help or guidance, I quit Ativan in 1 week after cutting the pill in half and then stopping. My life completely flipped upside down and I was a different person. Blaming it all on the trazadone that I was still taking, I struggled and went through hell trying to get off of that for the next 6 weeks, but somehow managed to do it. Little did I know it was the Ativan that most likely sent me on this downward spiral, since no doctor can offer me any explanation for my symptoms other than “adrenal fatigue.”

Now, 6 months free of these medications I am a shell of the guy I used to be. I now only sleep 4 hours a night, have constant fatigue, and feel brain dead every day. I can barely exercise or focus, and the stomach digestion problems of constipation, diarrhea, etc. never stop. When will this all end? I have had to have a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and an mri on my head to rule out all possible causes, including dozens of blood tests. But everything came back completely normal. 

I'm hoping to get some support and clarity on how/why my body has quit on me after starting and then stopping the ativan and trazadone. Any ideas, knowledge, or anything that you think could help me sleep and get my life back, please share! I am eating a healthy diet, drinking tons of water and vegetable juicing every day to give myself the best chance possible at healing.

I wasn't even on these for that long! The only thing I can think of at this point is that I have major post-acute withdrawal, but I don't know! I am pushing myself through my job every day and praying to God that someday soon he will heal me and bring me back to life and "turn the lights on" in my brain/body.

Hello, ComebackSzn - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on becoming benzo-free!  I don't know much about trazadone, but those symptoms do sounds like ativan caused them.  I think it's great you figured out that the drugs were causing you more anxiety, so quickly.  It happened so much slower for me, and was so hard to pinpoint exactly any one problem.  Unfortunately, there's no magic cure for the inability to sleep during benzo withdrawal, but some people have found relief with different things.  You will find many people with problems sleeping here. 

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.

Please feel free to post to any of the specialized boards, which can all be accessed from the BenzoBuddies Community Forum homepage. Based on the information provided in your introduction, the following links may be a good starting place for you:

Insomnia

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

When you have a chance, I highly recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, which is an authoritative source on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery, authored by Dr. C. Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field. It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations on the reasons for their existence.

For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster than that. 

Please take the time to Create a Signature. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Again, welcome!

Greencup  :smitten:

Welcome to the forum!  I am in the same boat as you.  I took Ativan 0.5 for about 4 months to help with panic attacks while driving. Went off the drugs cold turkey and I am now barely functional. I am also getting about 4 hours of sleep per night, am totally brain dead and can barely get myself to do anything.  I know it is scary. Please know that you are not alone. It is infuriating that this happened to us but we can't lose faith! From what I have read, it really takes time to heal. I am sorry this happened to you.  I think you will find this forum very helpful, I certainly have! Stay strong.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear how you are suffering.  It will improve. I quit Ativan 1mg for sleep after taking it for twenty years plus. I did it very slowly over 12 months. It sounds like you both may have been in a hurry. The idea is to trick your brain and gradually reduce so there isn't a sudden change in brain chemistry. Try not to stress out over the awful side effects ...remain positive telling you self "this too will pass" Its disgusting how doctors even nowadays are putting people on this powerful drug. I'm not sure doctors were well informed twenty years ago when I was put on it but nowadays they should be. My sleep is becoming very slowly better. I have been off the drug about seven weeks. I tried trazodone but didn't like the after effects and it didn't always work. I am now using cbd with a small amount thc about twice a week as I don't want to become dependant on this either. It works and at least I know I will sleep twice a week.Can you get any emotional support as you go through this? Time is a great healer. Hang in there.

Hi Im sorry you are struggling. What I've read is after a short time on a benzo they start getting better in a few months. Hopefully, you will also. Read the benzo free celibrations. :smitten:

Keep fighting dear , this is inhuman !!! I was inly one week on it for herniated disc as muscle relaxant and got addicted. Only one week !! I suffered for 9 months , extreme withdrawal, than one by one all symptoms faded and gone. I am a success story and it is 2 year from cold turkey now , I am living my life fully , better than before , stronger and now know I fought the most  cruel inhuman sufference on the earth. 

Do not surender !!