Light Xanax user for anxiety and sleep

[Mo...]

Hi, I have been diagnosed with GAD and MDD. I managed both really well with an antidepressant for many years. In March 2019 before going on vacation I had severe breakthrough symptoms and realized the antidepressant wasn't working anymore and I was on the highest dose. Since then I have been on and off several medications with little effect or bad side effects. To help manage the insomnia and anxiety so I can work and be mother to my 2 young kids I was prescribed Xanax 'as needed'. Well, I found at the start that taking just .25 when I would wake in early morning would help me get back to sleep and keep me feeling pretty good for most of the day. I didn't want to become dependant on it though, so I was careful to take 1 only every 2-3 days. This seemed to work pretty well for awhile. However, since about November I have noticed my night anxiety and insomnia have gotten worse and I needed to go up to .5. Then, I noticed on the days I wouldn't take it I felt like absolute crap. Physically, mentally. And my depression just keeps getting worse and worse. I have come to the realization that I need to get off this medication if I ever want to feel better. It has been 2 weeks since my last dose.

Hi Motherof2.

Glad you’re here for information and support, however if you’ve been off Xanax for two weeks already you’re pretty much done! Withdrawal symptoms from Xanax hit fast and hard so if you’ve made it this long you should be on the mend now.  Or if not, you should start seeing some improvement soon.  I would expect even with short term use you may have some anxiety and insomnia, that would be expected and normal, but even that should begin to resolve soon.

You may want to have a look around the forum and read some of the posts to see the bullet you’ve dodged though.  It may reassure you that stopping the Xanax was a good decision.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Take care,

Challis  :smitten: