Tapering from Valium

[Ho...]

I’m a 76 year old male taking 16 mg per day. My average dose for the past 2 months was from 15 to 20 mg.

I began using small doses of Valium 6 years ago averaging about 2.5 mg of diazepam. Occasionally due to anxiety I would take 10 or 15 mg in a day once or twice a month.

During August, 2019 my anxiety increased and I took more milligrams.

I discovered I was dependent in November, 2019.

Even though my dosage has been stable since November my body’s symptoms are not stable. Some days I experience high anxiety and other days depressive feelings. Also Constipation.

Despite taking 10 or more milligrams at bedtime I'm only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night.

I want to taper off Valium and have registered for ideas.

Hello Hope9476, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It sounds like your body has become dependent on the Valium, and your body has also become tolerant to the dose you were on, which as you've found out means you must increase your dose to achieve the same effects.  I'm glad to hear you want to taper off, it's the only way to be free from the symptoms you're feeling.

I would suggest doing this very slowly, perhaps cutting your dose by about 5-10% every week or two, you need to remain functional as you do this, so going slowly should help minimize your symptoms.

If you'll take a look at our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) board, you'll see the methods we support, and when you decide which you'd like to try, you can start a thread and ask our members for suggestions.

You might also want to check out the  The Ashton Manual, it will help you understand what the Valium has done to you and chapter 3 will list your symptoms.  There are also slow withdrawal schedules.

You can start a thread on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board if you'd like to discuss your symptoms with others.

We're glad you found us, let us know how we can help.

Pamster