Help with titration from 1.5 mg of Ativan

[Ja...]

I am ready to get rid of my Ativan. Slowly on a liquid titration plan , but I have no idea how to do it. Two Drs have tried to reduce it too fast and failed . I would really appreciate some help . Thanks

No ,I understood titration to mean liquid. Thanks for straightening that out. I have read all the info on a liquid taper , but I have no idea what to answer. I want a slow taper but as far as the numbers or % I have no clue.  Also I don’t know how to go from pills to pills diluted in liquid . I have so many questions and I want to have a plan to take to my Dr. 

Before we pursue a liquid taper, I hope you'll look at this video, it describes how someone can dry taper their dose.  I'm not trying to talk you out of using liquid, I just want you to know your options, I'm assuming you've watched videos on YouTube of how to do a liquid titration?

I have watched that video and many more on liquid micro tapers. I tried cutting my pills last time and I simply couldn’t control the amounts. Pill dust etc.  From everything I’ve read I thought the micro taper might be best for me. I’m just not sure how to go about it.

Okay good, it sounds like you're fully informed and wish to use liquid, but we'll need some information first.  What I'm hoping is that you'll answer these questions so that someone with a little more experience helping to make taper plans will come by to help you.  But if we prepare thoroughly before hand, it shouldn't take long to make the actual plan.  What do you think, are you willing?

You're 72 now?

When do you see your Dr next?

You've been on Ativan for about 23 years?

What was the reason you were put on Ativan for?

You're currently taking 1.5 mgs a day, do you ever take any more?

You're currently dosing twice a day?

I see you mentioned on your signature that you've tried to quit before, 2 times?

Will your Dr support you with enough pills to do a slow taper?

Do you have any allergies/sensitivities

You mentioned in another post in 2018 that you may be experiencing tolerance withdrawal?

What if any withdrawal symptoms are you currently experiencing?

Do you take any other medications?

Are you having interdose symptoms even though you're dosing twice a day?

Do you drink alcohol?

You mentioned in 2018 that your Dr wants you off of Ativan, is this still the case?

If yes to my previous question, what is your timeframe?

I’m 73 now

I see my Dr on the 23 of this month

Yes approx. 23 yrs on Ativan

I took it for insomnia and anxiety

I never take more than prescribed

I dose twice a day .5 at noon and 1mg at night

I tried dry cutting first time when I was taking 1mg.. updosed to 1.5 after 6 months (changed Drs)

I believe my Dr will supply me with enough to slow taper

Allergies, penicillin,amoxicillin,Effexor

Slight increase in anxiety and GI upset. I will check that out before I start

I don’t take any other meds ..vitamin B and D

No interdose symptoms

I don’t drink , I quit 33 years ago

My new Doctor is more supportive . Not totally informed but I believe she’s open to listening

Hello Jannella-

Glad to hear that you have a supportive doctor on board with your taper. Many folks find that doing a symptom based taper works well. Because you have struggled in the past I would suggest you start off at 5% reduction every two weeks combining tablets with a liquid.

Click here for a program that will give you the ability to create a schedule to use as a guide for your taper. This program is easy to use, simply plug in the pertinant data and you are good to go.

To help get you started, click here for a sample of a schedule taken from this calculator. Because some folks report sensitivity to liquid, combining the liquid with tablets is an alternative. This plan was created to combine a liquid along with tablets. You can taper with all liquid or a combo, what ever works best for you.

Various "How To" methods for making a solution/suspension using 1mg Ativan tablets:

#1: 1ml=.10mg suspension:

1) Crush 10- 1mg tablets into fine powder; place in a suitable container.

2) Add 60ml of a suspension vehicle; shake well

3) Add 40ml of distilled water; shake well

4) Shake well; draw dose and take

#2: 1ml=.10mg solution/suspension using ethanol and a suspension vehicle

1) Put 10- 1mg tablet in a suitable container

2) Add 4ml of 40%(80proof) alcohol. Let sit until tablet disintegrates

3) Add 50ml of a suspension vehicle and 46ml of distilled water.

#3: 1ml=.10mg solution using 95%(190proof) ethanol, distilled water

1) Put 1 - 1mg tablet in a suitable container

2) Add 1ml 95%(190proof) ethanol(everclear). Let sit until tablet disintegrates

3) Add 9ml distilled water

Links to suspension vehicles:

Ora-Plus

Humco

Click here for visual on how to read syringes

*edit typo in line #3 "how to" description

Hi Gudruna, thank you so much for your help. I’m still a little confused , I would like to use water to dissolve my pills in . I can’t drink alcohol as I quit drinking 33 years ago. I’m reluctant to use anything other than water as I am sensitive to a number of things. Hope I don’t sound difficult ,I just want to be up front. Also could I do more than 2 doses in a day or should I just dose the 2 times I usually take it?

Thank you

Janet

Hi Gudruna, thank you so much for your help. I’m still a little confused , I would like to use water to dissolve my pills in . I can’t drink alcohol as I quit drinking 33 years ago. I’m reluctant to use anything other than water as I am sensitive to a number of things. Hope I don’t sound difficult ,I just want to be up front. Also could I do more than 2 doses in a day or should I just dose the 2 times I usually take it?

Thank you

Janet

Most benzos are not soluble in water, so water is not really a good option. Your best bet would be to make a suspension(option #1 in the list of options I suggested in the previous post.)

You can dose as many times a day as you want. I have read where some members who are experiencing interdose withdrawal symptoms use all liquid. Once they measure out their daily dose they use as needed through out the day. What ever works...

You can use what ever mgs you have available. 

Thank you, I don’t understand the charts ,why would I dissolve 10 pills?

Dissolving 10 pills would give you enough liquid to last a week or so...you can make a batch any size you want.

Click here for detailed visual using all liquid taper.