Addicted to Oxazepam

[an...]

I joined in here when I searched around about benzo addiction. I am taking Oxazepam, around 40-50 mg per day mostly in the morning. I have been doing so for a bit more than a year. I now sense and have been told from the doctor that I have developed an addiction cause I sometimes run out of medicine too fast, or I have to take too many at times.

I will contact a clinic tomorrow that hopefully will help me, but comments from you all in here is also most welcome.

I am 50 year old male from Sweden, and hope this site will help me in my taper.

Hello anderswen, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

These darn pills sneak up on us, we don't realize our bodies have become dependent on them, I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation.  Your body has likely grown tolerant to your original dose, this would account for why you're taking more than has been prescribed.  When this happens, you must increase the dose to achieve the same effect.

We can provide you with information about tapering from this drug, given your dose and the amount of time you've been on it, a slow taper of about 5-10% of your dose every week to 10 days is suggested.  If tapered too quickly withdrawal symptoms can set in leaving you miserable, it's important to allow the brain heal as you reduce the drug.

You may want to check out the Ashton manual, I believe this is the Swedish version, it's a comprehensive look at what benzo's do to us and the withdrawal symptoms they can produce.  http://www.evoca.info/pages/ashton.html

You're welcome to start a thread on our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans), there you'll see the methods we support and you can ask our members for suggestions.

One thing to keep in mind, some in the medical profession may want to taper you too quickly off of the drug, and while not everyone will experience withdrawal symptoms, there are those, like us who do, so I hope you'll advocate for yourself when you speak with them tomorrow.

Let us know how we can help you.

Pamster