Gabapentin for “home detox” or “day tox” as my doc is calling it .

[Ti...]

Hello all and thank you for this group. I was on a ton of benzos honestly some prescribed and some not. Anyways I couldn’t take it anymore and sought help with a medical group with the understanding that I am not willing to go somewhere for detox. They gave me 900mg Gabapentin 3x daily for 7 days. I don’t feel any withdrawal symptoms or anxiety but feel super clumsy stumbling and the first 2 days I was slurring up a storm. Thank God that stopped. Has anyone else ever done this method of detox? If so, PLEASE let me know how it went! Thanks!!

Hello TiffanyS, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It's good to hear you're not experiencing anxiety, can we get just a bit more information from you?  What benzo's were you on, what dose, how often, for how long and when you discontinued them?  It's important we have this information to be able to gauge how you're feeling and how you're going to feel.

We have many who were put on Gabapentin, in fact we have a support group on the forum for those tapering it.  You might want to check with them before deciding to get off of it.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

If you'd like to discuss any other symptoms you're experinecing, you can start a thread on the Post-withdrawal Recovery Support  board.

We're glad you found us, let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Thanks for your response Pam. I was initially prescribed 15 1mg Ativan a month for maybe 3 months but I would run out of them early bc I was having more than 15 panic attacks a month. Unfortunately the only thing I could find to buy was Xanax which I went from using for panic attacks to realizing that they just felt good to take. I quickly escalated from my prescribed Ativan to about 15mg a day of Xanax a day on top of the Ativan. I did that for about 4 months. My source finally started running out so I knew I needed help or I was going to either go through withdrawal dangerously at home or end up at an inpatient detox/rehab and I have a 7yr old so I found this fancy clinic that does “day tox” so now I’m on the Gabapentin to prevent seizures for a week then the long term plan is cymbalta and a low dose of Gabapentin either PRN or scheduled as needed. I also did one of those mouth swab genetic tests to see what meds work for my body and turns out the lexapro I was on for years isn’t compatible with my genetics and wasn’t worth it. If you have the opportunity for the genetic test I highly recommend it if you have bad anx/dep like I do. My copy was $325 but totally worth it.