New here

[Ac...]

I was on a low dose of  Klonopin generic for about 8 months.  On 14/1/2020 I stopped taking .25 mg.  Having some side effects and looking to give and get support.  Currently take 100mg generic Zoloft. 

Hello Accepttancemyself, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I see you've quit taking Klonopin cold turkey, I'm concerned, how are you feeling?  It takes sometimes weeks for the full withdrawal symptoms to present themselves, I don't know how you're feeling now, but this could get worse for you. 

You might want to reconsider and reinstate and do a slow taper, this is the preferred method of discontinuing this class of drugs.  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two, this allows us to remain functional as the damage the drug has done to our brain is repaired.

If you'd like to discuss your symptoms you can start a thread on the Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal board to talk with others who have quit cold turkey.  Or if you'd consider reinstating you could take a look at the  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) board to see the methods we support.

Please let us know how you're doing, Klonopin is a powerful drug and no dose is small.

Pamster

Thanks for your concern Pamster.  I hear what you’re saying, but I wasn’t feeling well while taking it and I am taking some supplements to support myself while stopping the Klonopin.  I’m definitely having some symptoms, but I expected that- I’m happy to stop taking that poison. I actually have a friend that took .5mg/day Klonopin for ten years and just stopped taking it one day.  She swears she never had any withdrawal symptoms.  Go figure- everyone’s body is different. 

Yes, everyone is different, which is why those of us who do suffer from withdrawal symptoms for sometimes years are given other diagnosis by their Dr's, these people end up poly-drugged by their Dr's chasing other medical problems while all the while it is the withdrawal from the first drug they were prescribed, ugh, can you tell I'm frustrated?  :laugh:

So, what kind of symptoms are you feeling?  Take a look at chapter 3 of  The Ashton Manual, there you'll find a list of symptoms and why we feel them.

Something you need to understand is that the drug has made changes to the way your brain sends messages to just about every part of your body, and until your brain can repair those pathways, you may continue to experience symptoms.  It's not just a matter of getting the drug out of your body, your brain has to recover it's normal functioning.

I totally understand.  I’m familiar with the Ashton Manual. I am continually telling myself that everything I’m experiencing is due to my body and mind being in recovery. Ugh, on a doctor diagnosing withdrawal symptoms as a medical condition. 

Welcome  Acceptancemyself,

It’s really good that you are going into this with some knowledge about the potential symptoms. And that you have already found and gotten onto this site going into the process.

Hopefully you will be one of the ones who can skate out of this with minimal effects.

And also, Pamster is onto something with “the drug has made changes to the way your brain sends messages to just about every part of your body, and until your brain can repair those pathways, you may continue to experience symptoms.”

The entire experience seems fully unpredictable, and bizarre.

If you start having more weirdness, please reach out.

Edo