Jittery or exhausted

[De...]

Sorry brother, feel your pain. It's hard to persevere when you're mentally worn out from all the physical symptoms. Congratulations on your progress. You've come a long way, and the end is in sight. A few things you may want to look at.

The jittery may be from either adrenal bumps or from high glutamate. Adrenalin can be from sympathetic nervous system kicking off or hypoglycemia. High glutamate stimulates the brain, etc. and will cause horrible shakiness. Glutamate also affects the pancreas and thus blood sugar. It can become a vicious cycle. One way to sort it out is to stick your finger and use glucometer to see what the trend is doing. These BS problems can happen even if you never had issues before wd.

In my experience, it's best to check when you very first feel any symptoms. If BS drops, adrenalin tries to steal sugar from stores in the liver.  (Normal fasting BS is between 80-100.) If it is low, treat and retest in 30-45 minutes until levels stabilize.  I've had some 2 hour long hypoglycemia episodes (even though I ate) and a couple of random high BS too. All from glutamate- returned to normal post taper.  *Can get a false normal when previously low if the reserve from the liver kicked on. If you feel bad, it won't hurt to eat/drink. I use teaspoons of honey at the bedside to initially get BS up, and then follow with some rice, toast, or nut butter. In a pinch, a can of full-strength soda may work.

I've used supplements in both tapers. Many dismiss the idea, and I'm sorry to say, so did Ashton. Physiology teaches that enzymes run all the bodily functions (like GABA production) and can be greatly influenced by vitamins, minerals, etc. They are also temperature and pH sensitive.  It makes common sense to support their function. *Since moderately higher temps speed them up, it follows why most report relief from sitting in a hot bath.

I stay main stream and don't try too many balls in the air at once. Taurine works great on tremors as it's a natural anti-seizure pseudo-amino acid. (make sure to eat with it as it lowers blood sugar.) Recently discovered it also lowers glutamate which is very useful. I took it frequently at one point when coming off Lyrica.  If you're interested, lots of info in my other posts about supplements.

The exhaustion- don't know how the gut is behaving, but most of us have a variety of symptoms and weight loss is common. If you can, try to take in good high nutrient foods even if through shakes or smoothies. The body has to have energy and vitamins, etc. to heal.

Recommend to check the thyroid with a full blood panel: T3 (active) and T4 (storage) all levels, not just the TSH (Literally tells you next to nothing and is the only one doctors seem to notice.) Stress over time depletes the thyroid especially T3 in the body. It literally cranks up the mitochondria to produce energy. No thyroid=no energy.  T3 is also very active in the brain. Its levels there are protected by unique enzymes.  Studies done on patients with anxiety and bi-polar who were given just T3 showed improvement.  Remember it's a common problem- #2 prescription in USA is for thyroid meds.

Have had the symptoms you describe both tapers.  It can get better. Hang on.

Sorry brother, feel your pain. It's hard to persevere when you're mentally worn out from all the physical symptoms. Congratulations on your progress. You've come a long way, and the end is in sight. A few things you may want to look at.

The jittery may be from either adrenal bumps or from high glutamate. Adrenalin can be from sympathetic nervous system kicking off or hypoglycemia. High glutamate stimulates the brain, etc. and will cause horrible shakiness. Glutamate also affects the pancreas and thus blood sugar. It can become a vicious cycle. One way to sort it out is to stick your finger and use glucometer to see what the trend is doing. These BS problems can happen even if you never had issues before wd.

In my experience, it's best to check when you very first feel any symptoms. If BS drops, adrenalin tries to steal sugar from stores in the liver.  (Normal fasting BS is between 80-100.) If it is low, treat and retest in 30-45 minutes until levels stabilize.  I've had some 2 hour long hypoglycemia episodes (even though I ate) and a couple of random high BS too. All from glutamate- returned to normal post taper.  *Can get a false normal when previously low if the reserve from the liver kicked on. If you feel bad, it won't hurt to eat/drink. I use teaspoons of honey at the bedside to initially get BS up, and then follow with some rice, toast, or nut butter. In a pinch, a can of full-strength soda may work.

I've used supplements in both tapers. Many dismiss the idea, and I'm sorry to say, so did Ashton. Physiology teaches that enzymes run all the bodily functions (like GABA production) and can be greatly influenced by vitamins, minerals, etc. They are also temperature and pH sensitive.  It makes common sense to support their function. *Since moderately higher temps speed them up, it follows why most report relief from sitting in a hot bath.

I stay main stream and don't try too many balls in the air at once. Taurine works great on tremors as it's a natural anti-seizure pseudo-amino acid. (make sure to eat with it as it lowers blood sugar.) Recently discovered it also lowers glutamate which is very useful. I took it frequently at one point when coming off Lyrica.  If you're interested, lots of info in my other posts about supplements.

The exhaustion- don't know how the gut is behaving, but most of us have a variety of symptoms and weight loss is common. If you can, try to take in good high nutrient foods even if through shakes or smoothies. The body has to have energy and vitamins, etc. to heal.

Recommend to check the thyroid with a full blood panel: T3 (active) and T4 (storage) all levels, not just the TSH (Literally tells you next to nothing and is the only one doctors seem to notice.) Stress over time depletes the thyroid especially T3 in the body. It literally cranks up the mitochondria to produce energy. No thyroid=no energy.  T3 is also very active in the brain. Its levels there are protected by unique enzymes.  Studies done on patients with anxiety and bi-polar who were given just T3 showed improvement.  Remember it's a common problem- #2 prescription in USA is for thyroid meds.

Have had the symptoms you describe both tapers.  It can get better. Hang on.

Thanks for the response and great advice. I guess I will be investing in a meter soon and it's great that you brought that up as I know I do sometimes go 8 hours without eating anything so it would make sense.

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]