Does Pain Always Need a Drug? — Navy Psychologist Mary Vieten, PhD

[La...]

Lapis... thank you for sharing this.

I have no doubt that a good percentage of us find ourselves in the situation we find ourselves today because of the exact scenario the Psychologist in this video depicts.... a traumatic or stressful event that is a normal part of the human experience.  I know it was for me.

We get hypnotized by drug commercials, ads in magazines for drugs, and friends/family taking drugs instead of waiting and seeing if the pain will go away. It may be just a one-off deal or the body needs exercise. We are taught by doctors to do something immediately, and that means prescribing drugs for us patients.

I remember my son telling me that so many people he knew in college were borrowing Adderall from their friends to cram for tests. There is definitely a short-term benefit to these drugs, but IMO drugs aren't meant to be long-term solutions. However, the problem is that people find such relief that they want to repeat the same scenario the next day and the day after that, etc.

I'm sorry, Lapis, I will have to read the article tomorrow. I'd really like to find out what she says.

Well, this one is interesting, for sure. I don't have a TV, and I don't get magazines anymore, so I'm not subject to these ads, which are supposed to be prohibited here in Canada. Of course, people here do see lots of American television, so I may be an anomaly. I know there are loopholes too, so I assume there are some medication ads that are pushing the boundaries of what's allowed and what's not do get out there.

In any case, I think the other thing is that the DSM has medicalized things that should not be considered true illnesses, e.g. grief. Grief is normal when someone loses a loved one, a job, a relationship, etc. Giving medication does not seem appropriate or necessary. That's just one example.