"Research Suggests We Shouldn’t Be Using Antipsychotics": Peter Gotzsche, M.D.

[La...]

Peter is usually pretty spot on but..... "why don't we do what the patients want... give them a benzo

for a couple of sleepless nights" .  Not sure that I agree with that.  Isn't that what Big Pharm wants

.... for patients to "ask for" something and isn't that what got us into this trouble in the first place?

Contrast this to the discussion in your previous post by Navy Psychologist Mary Vieten....

"Does Pain Always Need a Drug?" — Navy Psychologist Mary Vieten, PhD

Not throwing out the baby out with the bathwater.... the are both very good on this important

issue of "Medicating Normal".

Yes, top, that part of the video does give me pause as well. I would want to ask Dr. Gotzsche if he meant that patients in psychosis should be given a short course of benzos rather than an antipsychotic. I don't think he meant that patients should be kept on benzos for long periods of time, but again, we'd have to ask him more questions in order to clarify.

I would want to ask Dr. Gotzsche if he meant that patients in psychosis should be given a short course of benzos rather than an antipsychotic.

Yes... I think that is what he meant. Even so.... it was interesting to have him say that after all the

other videos he has made leaning away from psy meds and how dangerous they are.

Yes, I agree, although I'm trying to remember if he has talked much about benzos in this series. I think he has mostly discussed antidepressants and antipsychotics. I really have no knowledge when it comes to psychosis, so I can't weigh in on that, but perhaps short-term benzo use is indicated in order to get people through certain extreme periods. In the video, he did say that antipsychotics shouldn't be used at all, as their short-term use seems to lead to long-term use.

More info needed!