My benzo situation

[2d...]

I've been on benzos for anxiety about 20 yrs, starting first with xanax then switching to klonopin.Recently, I've had so much success with functional medicine, my psychiatrist told me I could stop taking the klonopin. This started a terrible experience which seems to be ongoing, despite my resuming the klonopin. I would like to be benzo free. I realize that I'm probably going to have to do it on my own. My functional medicine Dr suggested this site as a way to possibly learn from others.

Hello 2dogs1cat, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms, did you stop the Klonopin cold turkey or did your Dr taper you?  I'm not surprised to hear you've not stabilized even after resuming your dose, this is quite common once the symptoms come into the picture.  How long were you off the drug and how long have you been back on it, these are questions which will help us determine the best path forward for you.

I'm happy your functional medicine Dr recommended coming to us, we seem to be the 'experts' when it comes to this issue, but believe me, we wish this weren't the case. 

Can you tell us your current dose, this will help us figure out a taper plan for you.

In the meantime, it would be helpful if you took a look at our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) board, you can see the methods we support then select the one you think will best fit your situation.

Also, if you'd like to speak with other members about what you're feeling, you can start a thread on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

We're glad you're here.

Pamster

Hi Bud, your Dr. nailed the advice about this site. It is a treasure trove of information and support. I have found it an invaluable resource. Only people that have undergone the process of tapering or discontinuing these medications can really understand how you are feeling. From my own experience I have found that having a good CBT Therapist can also be helpful as you journey on with this. I wish you the best of luck, take it slow and listen to your body.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I was on .25mg and my psychiatrist said it was such a low dose that I could just stop taking it. So I did, for about 6 days. I realized that I was not going to be functional anytime soon, so I started taking half a pill from there. I'm having withdrawal symptoms at night. I assume because I take the klonopin in the am. Muscle cramping and spasms. It usually wakes me up, so I'm not sleeping very well. In the morning I'm in so much pain, I'm barely able to move. My functional medicine Dr has a couple supplements I'm going to try. If that doesn't work, I'm considering taking the other half of klonopin at night. It's been 3+ weeks, and I'm getting desperate.

Thanks for filling in the details for us, my suggestion to you is to go back on your full dose, stabilize and begin a safe, slow taper.  Klonopin is a powerful drug, and your body has become dependent on it, so no dose is small. 

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two, or whatever your symptoms will allow, the key is to remain functional as you do this.  The drug has changed the way your brain sends messages throughout your central nervous system, reducing the drug slowly will allow your brain to regain it's normal function, but true recovery will take place when you're completely off the drug.

Please listen to our members when they tell you this must be done slowly, going quickly does not help you heal any faster, it just creates more pain.

I'd also check with our members about adding supplements right now, there are many that seem to exacerbate our symptoms.  Here is a link to the Alternative Therapies & Supplements board.

You could also benefit from glancing at the Ashton manual, chapter 3 will explain your symptoms and please read a post by a member named parker, it's an eye opener about what is happening to you right now.

The Ashton Manual

What is happening in your brain