benzos the new "opioid" crises?

[Mo...]

I keep reading articles that benzo's are/should be the next opioid crises. I'm of two minds on this.

First the "opioid"crises keeps people from getting the pain medications that they desperately need.

About a month ago I had an excruciating, and I mean horrendously painful ear infection. I was sitting there crying in a room as a NP tells me that she won't give me pain med because I was uncomfortable. I had to drive six hours to get to my regular doctor to get pain meds. All I needed was a few until the ear drops kicked in. But I guess we are all drug seekers now. And I've never used them unless I was in extreme pain.

Now what happens when hundreds of thousands of people who are on benzos -most who have no idea what's in store for them when they stop - can't get them. OMG can you imagine so many people being ct from them? I never realized what a horrible experience it was going to be coming off of them until last year. I wanted to get off of them and I started reading the best way to taper. I couldn't believe that it would could take years. I'm so glad I didn't just stop taking them.

But on the other hand it will make doctors think twice about prescribing them for everything. They  must prescribe them to other doctors all the time. But few doctors will come forward with their stories. Dr. Christy Huff is one of the only doctors I know of that has told her story.

Then I keep wondering how this problem with benzos has been going on since the '60s and few people seemed to notice,

Although not the main reason for wanting to get off of v, but high on my list, is that some doctor out there will ct me. I want to come off them at my own pace and right now I have a NP who is great about it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Although not the main reason for wanting to get off of v, but hi on my list, is that some doctor out there will ct me. I want to come off them at my own pace and right now I have a NP who is great about it.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Good thinking & right to be concerned.  I have already read a couple of buddies being told that "new guidelines" for benzo prescription is/will limit the length of time their doctor will be allowed to prescribe benzos.... now or probably in the future.  New guidelines may come from the FDA, big pharma or medical groups (like Kaiser Permanete... which has already posted their guidelines).

As if "taken as prescribed" benzo patients don't have enough to worry about.

https://wa.kaiserpermanente.org/static/pdf/public/guidelines/benzo-zdrug.pdf

That scares me more than anything. My mother had quadruple bypass surgery years ago and has been on 2mg of xanax a day for years. I don't think her body could bear a CT/rapid taper..

Definitely something to think about and consider. And a good reason to taper off these benzos.

I also do consider the thousands of people taking them (maybe millions?) who could be rapid tapered/CTed.

Then what happens to them if they are found to be unable to handle that?

Chaos, pandemonium, confusion en masse, to the point of filling up and overflowing of all facilities that could help everyone?

And thus major disruption of society in general?

Probably a good idea to get out the word that slow tapering of all psychoactive substances is a better method?

My thoughts.