A search for understanding

[Ro...]

Hello, I found my way to this forum on my hunt to better understand what I, for the second time in my lite, am going through. My first ride involved about three years of daily intake of various benzos but at the end i was using about 30-40mg alprazolam a day. When i finally decided to quit I struggle with withdrawl symptoms for almost nine months. I told myself i would never touch benzos again and enjoyed, for a couple of months, a pretty much anxiety free and normal life..

After a year and a couple of months in sobriety i met an old friend who had 10mg diazepams which he sold for almost nothing and before i knew what was going on I was hooked again. Now yet another year later life has cought up with me and i knew I hade to quit.

The dosage for the past year has been about 20-30mg of diazepam a day but since a month and 16 days iv been almost clean only taking 5mg:s when things get too terrible and I have to go to work. If this is a good way to taper down I have no clue.

Hello RoarTrogesen, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations on reducing your dose by so much, how are you feeling?  We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week to 10 days, but this is just a guideline, it can be faster or slower, the key is to remain functional.  Taking rescue doses isn't very helpful, your brain is trying to repair the damage done by the drug, so it's better to stay away from taking intermittent doses while trying to taper.

If you'd like some help with your taper, you can take a look at this board to see the methods we support, then when you're ready you an start a thread asking for suggestions.  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

If you're feeling symptoms, you can start a thread on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper), there you'll find lots of folks who get what you're feeling.

Let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Hello, I found my way to this forum on my hunt to better understand what I, for the second time in my lite, am going through. My first ride involved about three years of daily intake of various benzos but at the end i was using about 30-40mg alprazolam a day. When i finally decided to quit I struggle with withdrawl symptoms for almost nine months. I told myself i would never touch benzos again and enjoyed, for a couple of months, a pretty much anxiety free and normal life..

After a year and a couple of months in sobriety i met an old friend who had 10mg diazepams which he sold for almost nothing and before i knew what was going on I was hooked again. Now yet another year later life has cought up with me and i knew I hade to quit.

The dosage for the past year has been about 20-30mg of diazepam a day but since a month and 16 days iv been almost clean only taking 5mg:s when things get too terrible and I have to go to work. If this is a good way to taper down I have no clue.

Hi Roar,

I’m just curious. Are you sure about the mg’s of aprazolam you were taking daily?  I’m guessing you meant to say you were taking 30-40 mg’s a month?  If not, the conversion table I researched said that you were taking the equivalent:

Aprazolam 30mg = Diazepam 450mg per day

or

Aprazolam 40mg = Diazepam 600mg per day

I’m not saying I doubt you. I have heard of these high tolerances before. I’m just happy you are still alive.

❤️

Yes sorry, I was popping about 4mgs of xanax a day during the last month before i quit the first time.

This time it feels like im on an imposaibe road to recovery. Deep down i know it will pass but not knowing how long it will take this time is heart breaking.

It's not impossible, but I know it feels that way.  Keep talking to us, this is how we get through this, we help each other. 

Yes sorry, I was popping about 4mgs of xanax a day during the last month before i quit the first time.

This time it feels like im on an imposaibe road to recovery. Deep down i know it will pass but not knowing how long it will take this time is heart breaking.

Roar,

Don’t be down about this. You are still within short term use. And chances are with a slow taper (perhaps micro titration) it won’t be that bad. Don’t assume the worst.  ❤️