3mg Clonazepam for years have to quit fast! Any help?

[Bm...]

I was on Clonazepam 2.5 mg for 8 Years, i m recovering for another addiction as well,The psychiatrist  switched to 50 mg of valium i m now one month in and i m using 25 mg. They want to finish the taper in 2 months. Is that even safe?  Also valium does have a strange effect on me. it makes me sleepy but the anxiety won t go away, it s like being kind of drunk. Also i m very hyperactive, my mood changes every 2 hours, i m afraid to go outside. It s a feeling of being extremely scared and drunk at the same time... I can t do any sports, because of confusion. Is the timeframe doable?

Hi Bms88,

Are you still hoping to be free of the benzo so you can live in the sober house?  If this is the case, then this is the path you're on and you have to make it work.  Your symptoms are normal, the Valium has that effect on many people, so you're not alone.  It causes sedation, but because you're also withdrawing the drug, you'll have the hyperactive feelings too.  Benzo's are a muscle relaxant and taking them away will do the opposite.

You need to read Chapter 3 of the Ashton manual, it will list your symptoms and why you feel them.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Pamster

Yes I could, but then I can’t start my for my other addiction . I have been sober now for a while. But still want the treatment  with CBT while living in a safe house. And I have to be benzo free by that time. I could ask for a month extra. But that’s it:(

Hi Bms88,

Are you still hoping to be free of the benzo so you can live in the sober house?  If this is the case, then this is the path you're on and you have to make it work.  Your symptoms are normal, the Valium has that effect on many people, so you're not alone.  It causes sedation, but because you're also withdrawing the drug, you'll have the hyperactive feelings too.  Benzo's are a muscle relaxant and taking them away will do the opposite.

You need to read Chapter 3 of the Ashton manual, it will list your symptoms and why you feel them.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Pamster

Thnx :) for your reply, but how can i even do therapy when I m feeling like this.. And which part of the taper is the hardest?

I hear CBT therapy is helpful while in withdrawals, I don't have personal experience but I've read other members who have used it.

I can tell you really want this opportunity because you're going through hell to get it, so I have no doubt you'll do what you have to do to get through this.  So much of this process is about attitude and I think you have the right one.  You're young and healthy enough to do this, especially with a can do attitude.