Welcoming myself

[No...]

Just saying hi to all, I have been visiting this site for some time and just today registered. I have been on Xanax and Valium for 5 years on a 'as needed prescription' sometime i use them for my anxiety and sometimes I have time off as i am very aware of the addiction risk. I am a recovering alcoholic too, been off alcohol for 10 years but have had the odd drink and can stick to one unit. But dont drink if taking a benzo. I am trying to stop all medication now, I am 58 years young male. Doses taken 0.5/1mg Xanax per day max or 5/10mg Valium if I need a longer time to deal with anxiety. I find the Valium gentler as it has a longer half life. The Xanax works well for a short issue like a flight.

Hello Northern Boy, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you've decided to join us and kudos to wanting to get off medications.  I'd like to ask if you've ever experienced odd symptoms not related to the original condition you were prescribed the benzo's for?  Are you familiar with the possibility of tolerance withdrawal symptoms, or interdose withdrawal?  The reason I'm asking is to try and gauge if your body has become dependent to the drugs.  Oftentimes these symptoms will mimic the original condition such as anxiety, insomnia and panic attacks.

Please make yourself familiar with our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans), there you can see the methods we support and when you're ready, you can start a thread asking for suggestions from our members.

Please let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of tolerance withdrawal symptoms and inter dose withdrawal. I know that when I take alcohol it is not good so I have now stopped alcohol altogether (1month). In a typical month I might take 0.25mg Xanax a day for 3 days, if my anxiety continues I switch to 5mg Valium per day say for 2 days, then 2.5mg Valium 2 days, then 1.25mg Valium 2 days and then stop. I may have 4 or 5 days with no benzo and I dont think any withdrawal but then I have a panic attack and 0.5mg Xanax sorts it out and then 4 or 5 days no benzo again. Last week I had to take a flight, took 0.5mg Xanax before flight, 5 hours later 0.5mg Xanax. Then nothing for 48 hours then 1.25mg Valium to sleep. I am 5 days off any benzo and I dont feel so good and this has happened before and I want to take something, if I do I relax, if i dont I feel ok the next day. So that's an example of my usage. I want to stop totally and have no idea if I need to taper or just stop. I dont know if the symptoms I get are just anxiety again or withdrawal. And that's it and that's why I joined this site.

In my opinion, your body has become dependent on the Valium and Xanax, the timing of your return of anxiety corresponds to the half life of the Valium you're taking.  It has a half life of up to 50 hours, so as it leaves your bloodstream on comes your anxiety. 

If you wish to get off of both drugs, I would suggest tapering off of the Xanax first then the Valium. You'll probably want to begin taking the Valium daily in order to taper, the brain needs a slow steady reduction not erratic dosing.  We'll need to get you established on the lowest possible dose that is tolerable to you before you begin to taper.

However, I'd like you to start a thread on the  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) so we can get responses from other members about a plan.  It's good to get a consensus when planning a taper.  Just choose the direct taper board, since that's basically what you'll be doing once the Xanax is eliminated.