~ DESPERATE ~Crossing Back Over To Alprazolam From Clonazepam ~ URGENT ~

[Se...]

It seems counterintuitive but clonazepam is killing me.  I've tapered down to 0.54mg...probably too fast.  I've been holding now for more than a week and no symptoms are relieved.  Nausea, at this point, is no longer tolerable.  Everyday is getting worse. Yesterday I started dosing 4 times a day instead of 3 times a day. It's not helping.  I had less than 2 hours of sleep last night.  Headache, nausea, and paresthesia are increasingly worse. I can't even force myself to eat.  There is ZERO relief after dosing. I took Zofran today for nausea.  It did absolutely nothing.  No Rx meds help nausea. No OTC remedies help. 

They are both equal in strength, i.e., 1 mg alprazolam is equal to 1mg clonazepam.  I have never found clonazepam "longer acting".  I think it's chemically irritating that's why I'm going back to alprazolam.  I've been off alprazolam just over 3 months. 

I'm hoping to add two equal doses of alprazolam a day while removing two clonazepam doses.  I'll do this for a week.  The next week, add one more alprazolam dose and remove one more clonazepam dose.  The third week I'll go to all alprazolam. It won't be up dosing as I'll continue with DLMT. I'm not interested in crossing over to Valium. I at least know the effects of alprazolam.

I'm hoping this will be a smooth transition and then I'll move forward tapering off alprazolam...again.

It seems plausible on paper. Will it work in real life?

I really need some input here!

Thanks.

SG

Are you sure you want to go to xanax? Won't this cause interdose withdrawal? I know you said you weren't interested in switching to diazepam, can I ask why not? Also, you aren't going to really feel better after 1 week.. as you know this takes several weeks to even drop in blood levels. Are you sure you aren't rushing this a bit?

I'm suffering with inter dose withdrawal now.  Clonazepam has never been longer acting for me.  Why no Valium?  I've just read too many negative comments about crossing over and then tapering.  I know it's an individual experience but I'm not willing to take that chance.  I'm too sick to do it.  I'm not looking for a prolonged cross over either.  Clonazepam and alprazolam are similar in dosage and having been on both I kind of know How I feel on them.  I didn't expect a miracle but didn't expect to feel much worse after holding for a week either.

I've been thinking about it for awhile since there hasn't been any improvement at all.  I thought decreasing my dose would eventually get me to a better place.  It hasn't.

I'm waiting for the doctor to call now.  He may agree with you.  I don't know.  I know one thing.  I can't live like this much longer.  The nausea is relentless and getting worse.  Sleeping is almost non existent.  Something has to change.

Thank you for your thoughts.

SG

💜

Have you heard from the doctor yet? I hope he talks to you soon.

Since your body was used to Xanax for so long, I wonder if it just needs a little reminder in order to calm down again. You have definitely given the Klonopin a chance to do its thing, no doubt.

I hope this plan works and that you can get some relief pronto.

Liz

Ultimately it is your choice but going back to that awful evil Xanax is the worse thing you could do in my opinion. I truly feel like deep down you know this. Sleep will come. Take it moment by moment. You have come so far. You are strong. Try and stop adding new drugs to the mix and just stabilize by doing nothing but getting thru the day.

Hi Liz...

The doctor called and prescribed low dose amitriptyline (10mg) for anxiety/sleep.  It's old school tricyclic antidepressant. This seems like a better alternative than my proposal.  I'd rather GET off clonazepam and STAY off alprazolam. I am just so desperate for relief I'm willing to try anything.

He said stay on the current clonazepam dose and see if the amitriptyline helps.  He feels most of the nausea is anxiety fueled.  It may well be as my stomach ailment isn't the only symptom. It's hard to tell during benzo withdrawal but anxiety/panic disorder is why I was originally prescribed benzos.  Maybe the lower in dose I've gone with clonazepam, the higher the anxiety? I'd much rather try this than stay on benzos.

It may not be ideal but I'm willing to try. 

Praying for relief!  Lord knows it can't get here fast enough.

Thank you for checking in again.

Cindy

💜

Ultimately it is your choice but going back to that awful evil Xanax is the worse thing you could do in my opinion. I truly feel like deep down you know this. Sleep will come. Take it moment by moment. You have come so far. You are strong. Try and stop adding new drugs to the mix and just stabilize by doing nothing but getting thru the day.

@littlewing...

See my response to Liz.  It's not an ideal solution but it keeps me off alprazolam.  I'm hoping for relief.

Trust me.  I've been living moment by moment for months.  The human body can only take so much.  I'm broken down right now.  My weight keeps deteriorating and next to nothing sleep along with incessant nausea is not conducive to a path toward healing.

I'm really hoping for relief going down this avenue. 

Thank you for your message. 

SG

💜

I'm glad the doctor gave you another option. I have taken amitriptyline 75mg for several years. I don't have all of my med history in my signature, because it would be too long and confusing for anyone to follow.

It definitely helped me with sleep and still does. I was prescribed it a long time ago for fibromyalgia nerve pain at a low dose 25mg that worked. I was also on Paxil at the time. When it came time to begin a paxil taper my doctor slowly increased the amitriptyline so that it would take over. So far, that strategy has worked.

I would say that as far as meds go, this drug has helped me the most. I'm hoping that it will eventually become the only drug I take. I wish I had been prescribed it first before all the others. At that time, benzos and SSRIs were being heavily marketed and became the darlings of psychiatry. Amitrip was so "old school" by then.

Amitrip definitely stimulated my appetite and I began to gain weight on it. A cousin to amitrip-- Doxepin actually says on the insert "may cause a craving for sugar". I can't remember now what the reason was for switching me to this. It did indeed cause sugar cravings to the point they interrupted my sleep and I would find myself in the kitchen groggily eating cereal or whatever. That seemed really dumb and harmful, so I went back to the amitrip and I don't have any night time hunger pangs. In your case, weight gain would be a good side effect, but the sugar part can be a challenge. You've already cut out sugar, so that probably won't be as tempting to you.

When I have accidentally missed a dose I don't feel a bad withdrawal like I do with a benzo or SSRI. Mostly, for me, it seems to cause lots of fast, vivid dreaming before waking. I remember feeling "weird-headed" when I first took it, but that didn't last long.

Tricyclics tend to dry you out, so it's possible that this could relieve some fluid pressure buildup that might be causing some pressure on the brain's nausea center. That's just a guess and a hope.

I've been rooting for you every step. No one who hasn't experienced longterm nausea can possibly understand what it does to you. It doesn't matter if there isn't any emesis to go with it. This kind of nausea isn't discomfort. It is *painful* and debilitating. I get it.

I'm glad the doctor gave you another option. I have taken amitriptyline 75mg for several years. I don't have all of my med history in my signature, because it would be too long and confusing for anyone to follow.

It definitely helped me with sleep and still does. I was prescribed it a long time ago for fibromyalgia nerve pain at a low dose 25mg that worked. I was also on Paxil at the time. When it came time to begin a paxil taper my doctor slowly increased the amitriptyline so that it would take over. So far, that strategy has worked.

I would say that as far as meds go, this drug has helped me the most. I'm hoping that it will eventually become the only drug I take. I wish I had been prescribed it first before all the others. At that time, benzos and SSRIs were being heavily marketed and became the darlings of psychiatry. Amitrip was so "old school" by then.

Amitrip definitely stimulated my appetite and I began to gain weight on it. A cousin to amitrip-- Doxepin actually says on the insert "may cause a craving for sugar". I can't remember now what the reason was for switching me to this. It did indeed cause sugar cravings to the point they interrupted my sleep and I would find myself in the kitchen groggily eating cereal or whatever. That seemed really dumb and harmful, so I went back to the amitrip and I don't have any night time hunger pangs. In your case, weight gain would be a good side effect, but the sugar part can be a challenge. You've already cut out sugar, so that probably won't be as tempting to you.

When I have accidentally missed a dose I don't feel a bad withdrawal like I do with a benzo or SSRI. Mostly, for me, it seems to cause lots of fast, vivid dreaming before waking. I remember feeling "weird-headed" when I first took it, but that didn't last long.

Tricyclics tend to dry you out, so it's possible that this could relieve some fluid pressure buildup that might be causing some pressure on the brain's nausea center. That's just a guess and a hope.

I've been rooting for you every step. No one who hasn't experienced longterm nausea can possibly understand what it does to you. It doesn't matter if there isn't any emesis to go with it. This kind of nausea isn't discomfort. It is *painful* and debilitating. I get it.

@BaronessBlixen

Hi Liz. 

Thanks for your detailed information. 

I started on 10mg amitriptyline four nights ago.  Tonight I’m increasing the dose to 20mg.  There hasn’t really been much of an improvement with nausea or sleep.  It may have made nausea slightly worse but that could very well be start up symptoms.  I’m persevering because it’s seems like my last hope!!

I definitely think a higher dose will be more beneficial.  10mg is very low for TCAs.  I’m also going to taper off the pooped out mirtazapine as the amitriptyline dose increases.  Really hoping that plan mitigates any mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms.  I really don’t need that! 

I’m with you on staying on the drug if it continues to help.  I’d rather get OFF benzos and stay on an antidepressant.  I’m just looking for relief and stability in my mental and physical health.  I want to LIVE a meaningful life again and not be whining on BB! 

I definitely have the “weird-headed” feeling especially early in the morning.  It usually subsides by mid afternoon.  Again, it’s more than likely a start up effect. I can deal with that but not continued nausea. I’m exhausted mentally from that.  It really is debilitating and if no one has experienced it on this level, they should be on their hands and knees thanking God.  Chronic nausea has been the worst thing physically and mentally that I’ve ever been through.  I’ve been through unimaginable pain before but THIS is on a whole different level.

Unless it’s brought up to the doctor, they don’t think “old school” therapies. They generally gravitate toward the newest crop of meds on the market.  If it’s old school and it works?  I’m sold!  I worked in pharmacy for more than 15 years so my friends who are pharmacists and I are always trying to come up with alternative treatments.  Hopefully this one will be the answer!!

I wouldn’t mind sugar cravings.  I miss sugar and if I’m not nauseated, I wouldn’t have a problem indulging.  It would most certainly help my weight loss. I need to gain at least 20 pounds back to feel and look better!  Never thought I’d say that in my lifetime!! 

As far as fast, vivid dreams? I would welcome that.  I used to dream every night...in color and remembered them in the morning.  It’s been more than a year since I’ve dreamt.  I miss that.  I’d even take nightmares because that would mean I’m actually sleeping!!

“Drying” me up with amitriptyline? Bring it...as long as it alleviates nausea.

I really appreciate your insight and am grateful for your continued support.  It really means a lot to me. 

Thank you.  You really do “get it”.  :smitten:

Cindy

💜

Hi Sept Girl,

I did a direct switch to Xanax from Klonopin with no issue.  Then 3-4 months later became sick and tolerant in a rapid detox.  They got me off

the Xanax but 3 days later major withdrawal occurred.  Reinstated back on Klonopin .75.  Then dropped as far as .25.  Too fast.  All hell broke lose, I and trying to get off this stuff just like you.  Do you have major stress in your life right now?