8+ years after I took Ambien and suffered so much - how good life is now!!!

[tu...]

In August of 2011 I was prescribed Ambien for poor sleep.  At the same time a beta blocker I was taking for a heart arrhythmia was changed and the dosage doubled.  I believe it was the combination of these two drugs along with my metabolism that caused me to suffer a myriad of symptoms starting with vertigo and over time including extreme anxiety and depression.  While I have always been what others would call a worrier, I had never in my life before experienced anxiety.  Stress yes, but never anxiety in terms like I did during this very difficult time.  I truly thought I was losing it in the beginning and made no connection to the symptoms I was having and medications I was taking.  Doctors I went to see for my vertigo issues did not make the connection either.  It was a pharmacist and a physician's assistant that made the connection.  Once I knew what was at the root of things I unwisely cold turkeyed off the Ambien which created further symptoms and sent me down a very difficult road.  It was during that time that I found the BenzoBuddies forum.  The information and support I found here was a lifeline, in particular a woman named Patty who took me under her wing and so unselfishly guided me and many others through our hopeless overwhelm back to ourselves.  Back then it was so difficult to see the very slow and unlinear healing that was gradually taking place.  It was so hard, but I forced myself to put one foot in front of the other every day and do anything I thought could be helpful in building my fragile nervous system back to a healthy state.  I gave up alcohol and caffiene (still feel better drinking decaf than regular as it revs me up more than I like and I don't drink much and very sporadically as feeling altered has taken on new meaning since this experience and I don't like feeling altered if I can help it), did daily affirmations (I really suggest this when the thoughts in your head are running rampant), yoga, connected with healthy supportive family and friends, read/watched/listened to only positive uplifting things, worked back into regular exercise and ate as healthy as possible.  I took me a good 2-3 years to feel 80% healed and another 2-3 to get to 95% healed.  I say 95% healed because I do find that I am sensitive to things now that I was not before this experience (alcohol/caffiene/stress).  That said, I am living my life fully, working full time as a teacher, engaged fully with my family and friends, volunteering and just plain enjoying what life has to offer.  I can live with the 5% - it is nominal and in my mind a very small lasting reminder of one of the most challenging experiences of my life.  Months can pass without me thinking about or speaking about that time.  That is amazing to me.  For those of you deep inside that struggle take heart and also take courage.  Time will heal this!!!  I will say this again, TIME WILL HEAL THIS!  For some of you that time frame might be 6 months, for some 3 years.  In the meantime, do all you can to help the healing along.  Be strong and don't sit down in your despair and fear.  Challenge that thinking with information and healthy living habits (see above).  Find a support system and if you believe in a higher power connect to it daily.  I used to think I was forever broken.  And, while I did get "knocked down" hard by this, I eventually, every so slowly found my way back to myself and you will too.  Good luck!
  • Like 1

Hi turtlegirl,

Thanks so much for coming back to write your success story, you give hope to so many by doing this.  You made it through and out, and I'm happy you're living your life to the fullest!

Pamster  :smitten:

So happy for you turtlegirl and thank you for coming back and sharing, i am sure your story will inspire many people

Magrita :smitten:

Thank you so much  for writing your story!! CONGRATULATIONS!! As I approach 6 years off and am having a rough time, this has given me a lot of hope! I, too, have been prescribed beta blockers, a really huge dose, and I'm trying to taper very slowly. They've  caused huge  dizziness issues, and I feel that they create more anxiety than help with it. Like you, I was a worrier, but not anxious. NOT like I am now. I've lost all credibility with my son. But your suggestions  are very good, and I want to incorporate them into my life. I've been much too negative. THANK YOU AGAIN!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear Sweet A....

You did it!!!!  Thank you and congratulations for sharing your victory and truth that all heal!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  You are providing the hope of that truth to one and all on this site who are struggling like you once did.... and you no longer are... just living life to the hilt.  God love you A...

Pattylu :smitten: :smitten:

Congrats Turtlegirl!

I used to read your posts. I too came off Ambien, coming up on 40 months. At times I feel great, but still have times that are not comfortable. Far better than I was even 6 months ago. I am hoping that this year will get me most of the way there.

Congratulations turtlegirl! I am very so happy for you that you are now living your life fully. Thank You for coming back to share your success story. Gives me hope that healing do actually happens.

May you continue to receive joy, peace, love and wellness throughout your life!

Blessings!

Pi

Congrats Turtlegirl!

I used to read your posts. I too came off Ambien, coming up on 40 months. At times I feel great, but still have times that are not comfortable. Far better than I was even 6 months ago. I am hoping that this year will get me most of the way there.

Hello Klungo,

I have read a lot of your posts since my timeframe is closer to you. I am now 35 months off benzo and  getting better but still suffering from lingering symptoms

If you could share the symptoms you still have left that makes you uncomfortable at times, I would appreciate it.

Blessings!

Hello and Congrats brave warrior,

Ty for mentioning you got vertigo.

Because I got vertigo on a number of

Psych meds even taking for only 1 day

ie Remeron  paxil  cymbalta and 1 may

have been ambien related. Ty. Take care .