Announcement: It is with regret... ×

first post

[Mi...]

Hello everyone, I was prescribed xanax and have become dependant on it. It no longer works, just keeps me from feeling sick. I have read and will find the right doctor that will follow the ashton manual or a slow micro- taper and I joined this group to help others and find support. As we all know this is not easy. I have a great family, but my wife will not even look at info to try and understand how debilitating this can be. Thanks for listening.

Hi Miles6, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Yep, it sounds like you know exactly what's going on, the only reason to take the Xanax now is to keep from feeling the symptom's its creating.  Sounds like it's time to taper off of it, since increasing it is not a good idea. 

We can help you do this, take a look at our  Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) board, there you'll see the methods we support, start a thread when you decide which one you want to do and our members will drop by to offer suggestions.

Try not to worry about your wife not being willing to understand this process, it's an isolating experience for all of us, unless you experience it, you can't understand it.  Start a thread on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) and we'll be your support system, okay?

We're glad you found us, we're here to help.

Pamster

Welcome to BB!

You will find so much info and support here. You sound like you must live in an area with a lot of Drs because finding one who will support a very slow taper and understands the WD process is a problem for most of us. My Dr is in a larger town, big practice, but he is clueless about benzos. If you end up having to do it on your own you've come to the right place. My husband is totally supportive and will listen but I know as far as understanding what it feels like and how bad it can be, only someone who has been there can do that.

I am tapering from xanax and started at 1 mg in early June and will be off in 4 days! I have gone faster than the "base" plan at times and slowed down and held at times but the alcohol/water taper has allowed me to feel in control and to be flexible and to hoard extra pills in case, for some reason my Dr decided to stop refills, which in the current climate of narcotics has happened to some poor folks. Some methods I have looked at discard part of the liquid mix as a means of tapering and the thought of being cut off was terrifying to me.

I also will add that by choice, I stayed with xanax, not switching to valium. I know many people do well with the change but by splitting my daily dose into 4 parts I have not had problems with interdose WD. If you need any help or want to vent just reach out and I know you will find the help you need! Good luck!!!

Miles...

Maybe your wife will take the time to watch this YouTube video on benzos. Its been an eye-opener/foot-in-the-door for a lot of buddies  who have family/friends (and even medical professionals) who are reluctant (for various reasons)  to try to understand what we/you are going through. Worth a try....

This is Life With Lisa Ling - Benzo Crisis

~Featured on CNN - October 6, 2019

Miles...

Maybe your wife will take the time to watch this YouTube video on benzos. Its been an eye-opener/foot-in-the-door for a lot of buddies  who have family/friends (and even medical professionals) who are reluctant (for various reasons)  to try to understand what we/you are going through. Worth a try....

This is Life With Lisa Ling - Benzo Crisis

~Featured on CNN - October 6, 2019

Great suggestion  :thumbsup: