Klonopin - 3 years / need some advice

[po...]

Hello All !

I would like to ask for some help or tips for my situation .

Daily dose : 4x 0,5 mg -  so 2 mg daily . Even sometimes less as a try to scratch off some amount of the 0,5 pieces every time . So real dose can be from 1,5 to 2 mg max daily .

At the begining , when I got Klonopin/Rivotril here in the EU prescribed for me it was like a miracle , like i got back my life , becouse i was having high anxiety at that time , and some panic attacks started to happen .

For like a half year now I feel like its getting worse and worse . Feels like I dont have the benefits like I had at the beginning I was active and productive in work .

Now when I take my pill I just get drowsy and my reflexes are much slower , also my reaction time . It is really unconfortable and makes me anxious . Now I even limited almost eliminated caffeine from my diet to not have these ups and downs that much .

My doctor prescribed me some kind of SSRI , she thinks I have depression and this would help me get off from klonopin .

I havent started to take them , I am happy with my life , and dont want to jump into a deeper hole .

I want to completly taper from klonopin but now even on stable dose , it doesnt feels good .

Maybe some experienced symptons like this and could give some tips ? I take some multivitamins and 500 or 1000 mg C vitamin but doesnt help much .

It is winter now , which might not be the best season to start the taper , so I would more than happy If I could improve on my symptons .

25/M

Hello potzz, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It sounds like your body has become tolerant to the Klonopin and you either need to increase your dose to achieve the same effect or taper off of it.  I'm glad you've decided on the latter.  We can help you figure out a safe, slow taper, we typically suggest cutting about 5-10% of your dose every week to 10 days, but this should be driven by how you feel, it's important to remain functional.

Adding an SSRI at this time might not be the best idea, some members have said the A/D they're already on can be beneficial, but starting one at this time might just complicate things.  However, it's always an option if things get too dark for you while in withdrawal.

Here is a link to our taper board, there you'll see the methods we support.  Just clink on one of the links that looks like the best fit for you and start a thread asking members for suggestions. 

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

You might also need to talk to others about how you're feeling, you can share them with people on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper)  board.

We're glad you found us, and it's a good time to start a taper, best to get it going and comfortable with it while its nasty outside, right!  :)

Pamster

Welcome to BB potzz. I have not found anyone yet who has become tolerant to benzos who said multivitamins helped, once you become tolerant and start to experience these painful, bizarre SX's associated with interdose w/d.

SSRIs typically will not help much either altho some ppl do report benefit.

These drugs do feel like medical miracles when you 1st begin them but over time, they can slowly become your worst nightmare imaginable. You really have to try to formulate a slow controlled taper plan and stick to it. Personally, I would taper the klonopin down slowly as much as I could if you can't go down to zero and then try a valium crossover to finish the remainder.

Thank you for the information guys !

The biggest problem is that my country banned klonopin from the begining of 2019 , My doctor can still prescribe it for me but I need to go to a different country to take it . I am living in the EU (Slovakia ) , luckily its like 45 km-s to cross the border , but they are starting to regulate it that much most of the pharmacys doesnt even give it to you .

Do you think its possible to change to Valium/diazepam only , without getting any more side effects ? Tomorrow I will try to visit my doctor , and ask about possibilities , last time she offered me to check in to rehab, that would be a faster , didnt asked for details as I clearly not wanted something like this before christmas . Most likely I am not going to check in to rehab , as I dont want to skip my job and my GF becouse of this , and I am afraid they would mess up my body even more with other synthetical substances . But maybe I am wrong about this .

I would avoid rehab if you can, they tend to taper you off the drug too quickly leaving you incapacitated, when if you do a slow taper, you hopefully remain functional. 

If your Dr will cross you to Valium, that seems like your best option, especially if you can no longer legally get Klonopin.  You'll most likely experience symptoms from a crossover to Valium, but if she gives you the right equivalency and allows you to taper it in while still taking the Klonopin, then it shouldn't be too bad.  Probably some sedation, this seems to be the biggest complaint from members.

Here is a sample taper schedule from the Ashton manual. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s5

Thank you Pamster ! You are already helping much .

I was able to get my klonopin dose  for 2 months , so I will try to stabilize back to normal level , since i was randomly scratching off some pieces of the tablets each time ,  my dose wasnt constant , which at the begining seemd like okay , but now i recognize probably was not a good idea .

I will try to taper really slow , in the meantime is it possible to start healing my GABA receptors while still on klonopin ? For example doing excersie regularly , drinking green tea on daily basis . Also please share if you have any other habits . I am a pretty anxious person overall , so I want to improve my general stress tolerance  when I hopefully finish with klonopin .

Thank you guys !

Hello potzz,

I'm glad you got a supply of Klonopin, and a slow taper is a good idea.  Please keep your dose reduction constant, make small cuts, hold for as long as you need and try not to go up in dose, rescue doses aren't a good habit to get into.

As you reduce your dose, your brain will indeed begin to heal the pathways the drug has disrupted, this will continue as you taper and after the drug has been fully removed, it's a very long process.  Healthy choices and exercise are always a good idea to maintain general good health, but in my opinion, time is the only true healer in this process.

Here is a link to the Alternative Therapies & Supplements, there are many members who have shared what seems to work for them, you're welcome to join in the discussion.  :)

Pamster