Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Tight upper leg muscles

[Tr...]

Hello,

I have very thight, stiff and really painful muscles in my thighs. It starts later in the night, the pain wakes me up. Walking is hard to do because of pain and stiffness. Slowly it improves during the day. Evenings are the best part of the day with the least stiffness and pain. But next day it's the same old song. Horrible. Had several tests done: nothing so far. I was told it's all in my head. Yeah, right. It started months before I was prescribed benzos. It was actually the reason I was put on Diazepam. Can anyone relate to this?

• 4 weeks later...

Trochsetter, does the pain come and go or does it start and stay throughout the night?

I have the muscle spasms in my lower legs/feet during the evening and throughout the night that includes pain and tightness.

The other issue feels like it is in my upper legs and never goes away. I feel like I am walking on wooden stilts and does not involve pain.  The doctor suggested it was in my knees, which does include pain in my left knee.

When I am out and about walking, I now observe other people to see if I am walking like they are.  I keep thinking, where am I going with these thoughts.

Like you, my best time of the day is in the evening.

Sorry I can't offer any other thoughts on this, most of what I said we have already discussed.

Hi nightengale,

Thanks for your input.

But unlike you, my muscle stiffness is worst in the morning,  and improving throughout the rest of the day. Though it comes and goes too. I don't have those night spasms and / or RLS.

I' ve been to PT yesterday. Have to do an exercise every other day to make the muscles in my left upper leg and hip become less tight and increase strength.

We talked about the stilts before. The physical therapist noticed my "walking a bit stiff"  straight away! Well observed on her part.

I do that too, looking at how others walk! I'm trying to walk more supple. But it's hard to do. Have my hopes set on PT.

Let's hope things will improve for both of us.  :thumbsup:

I have it in WD. Was on diazepam 20 years for rigidity in whole upper back, shoulders, neck after spinal surgery at L5/S1. Now everything is rigid including thighs.

Year before WD right hamstring went tight and who.e right leg tighter than had been after something further happened in low back.

Could be a back problem or related to glutes as quads and glutes are related.

[59...]

Trochsetter, I have the same thing in my thighs.  I started noticing it before I started my taper and it has continued in my taper although it seems to be getting better.  I have it mostly in the early morning.  I had thought is was a withdrawl symptom but after reading your post, I am thinking it might related to high cortisol levels (they are highest in the early morning hours, drop throughout the day).

Staying well-hydrated seems to help.  I get up early and eat something with carbs and that helps, too.

Hi,

Perhaps it is the "freeze"  part of the fight, flight or freeze response,  we're always hearing about. My muscles are always under too much tension, I don't do that, it just happens. I 've been watching a video by a psychologist on YouTube about this freeze part.

No idea, if that's what 's bothering me, but it certainly has to do with me always having anxiety.

Hope it improves.