~ Melatonin ~

[Se...]

ADMIN/MODS:  I’ve already posted on Alternative Therapies And Supplements.  Just trying to get the most traction for my topic.

I know there are some threads on the topic of melatonin.  Many are old/archived.  I’d like to revisit.

Have you had success with taking melatonin for sleep?  Most nights I don’t have trouble falling asleep, but staying asleep is a different story.  I wake up every morning between 3 and 4 o’clock.  Occasionally, it’s 2 o’clock.  That REALLY sucks!  On average, I get 3.5 hours of sleep per night.  It’s really taking a toll on my body, mind and spirit. 

After researching, I find it’s best to use the least amount milligram wise.  I’m looking to take 1mg, sustained or controlled release, if I can find it without added vitamin or herbs.

I do suffer from incessant nausea and that’s basically what wakes me up so early.  Nothing I’ve taken has helped with that nightmare.  Ugh!!

I’m hoping to escape the possible side effects such as nausea and headache.  Headache I could probably manage but not more nausea!

I’d appreciate your experience and results with melatonin.

Thanks!

SG

💜

I use melatonin some nights and it seems to work well for me, but it sounds like it causes issues for some people in WD. I think it's a good idea to find some that doesn't have anything else added to it. I usually do 5mg myself, but sometimes I go up to 10mg with no issues that I'm aware of.

I also use Benadryl pretty regularly. I hate that I have to, but sometimes it's the only way I'll go to sleep and not go insane with anxiety.

@[he...]

The melatonin arrived today.  It’s very low dose - just 300mcg which is about 1/3 of a milligram.  It’s just plain melatonin, nothing added. 

Antihistamines rev me up! I have a prescription for hydroxyzine which was completely useless.  I should have known since Benadryl always got me wired...even before benzos!

I’m just VERY cautious because of the incessant nausea.  If I find 300mcg doesn’t help and/or cause symptoms, I can add more. 

I’m really hoping for some relief!

Thanks for the advice.

SG

💜

I'm confused why antihistamines work for some and not for others. They knock me out. However, I found early on when I took melatonin, I was up all night. What does it mean if antihistamines make a person more tired and make other wired? The same goes for melatonin.

[b4...]
I take 15mg melatonin every night since CT'd and I get between 4-6 hours a night.  Not perfect but I m not changing anything right now.  Benadryl has no affect on me either way.  Weird!

I'm confused why antihistamines work for some and not for others. They knock me out. However, I found early on when I took melatonin, I was up all night. What does it mean if antihistamines make a person more tired and make other wired? The same goes for melatonin.

@boomboxboy21

I have no idea why it’s paradoxical to some but not others.  I’m hoping for a good outcome with low dose melatonin.

I think it’s just our individual chemistry.  Why am I so nauseated every day but others are not?  I don’t understand but I know it’s benzo hell!

I’m glad you get relief with Benadryl.  I wish antihistamines worked for me.

SG

I take 15mg melatonin every night since CT'd and I get between 4-6 hours a night.  Not perfect but I m not changing anything right now.  Benadryl has no affect on me either way.  Weird!

@Bnotafraid

I feel like such a wuss trying just 300mcg!  :-\

I’m overly paranoid with creating more nausea.  I never thought that was possible but some days are much worse than others.

Praying for a good result.

SG

💜

@Bnotafraid

I’m overly paranoid with creating more nausea.  I never thought that was possible but some days are much worse than others.

SG

💜

You're smart to be cautious. It took me a lot of learning the hard way before I started being overly cautious on anything new that I try. Let us know how your melatonin experiment pans out for you.

@Bnotafraid

SG

💜

You're smart to be cautious. It took me a lot of learning the hard way before I started being overly cautious on anything new that I try. Let us know how your melatonin experiment pans out for you.

I will.  Today has been an EXTREME nausea day.  I’m hoping it settles a little before bedtime or I’ll wait until tomorrow night to try it.

The last I need to do is add to the nausea situation. :-[

Thanks...I’ll keep you in the loop!

SG

💜

I use a very small amount I'd Melatonin a few times a week. Between .25mg and .50mg.  I was taking more by mistake and found myself depressed.  Now depression is a regular symptom of mine so it could have been a coincidence.

I cut back and still have been able to use the small amount.  I take a break from it every few days, hoping that it will be more effective when I use it. 

I use a very small amount I'd Melatonin a few times a week. Between .25mg and .50mg.  I was taking more by mistake and found myself depressed.  Now depression is a regular symptom of mine so it could have been a coincidence.

I cut back and still have been able to use the small amount.  I take a break from it every few days, hoping that it will be more effective when I use it.

@Final healing

The melatonin experiment failed. I took 300 mcg (1/3 of 1mg).  I couldn’t fall asleep and when I finally did, it was restless and lasted just two hours.  I may revisit it again in the future when I’m not so symptomatic.  Nausea seemed to be worse in the morning too.  It may have been a coincidence, but I’m not taking another chance right now.

I’m glad you find relief.  I look forward to the day my sleep is restored.

Hoping you continue on your wellness journey.

SG

@Final healing

The melatonin experiment failed. I took 300 mcg (1/3 of 1mg).  I couldn’t fall asleep and when I finally did, it was restless and lasted just two hours.  I may revisit it again in the future when I’m not so symptomatic.  Nausea seemed to be worse in the morning too.  It may have been a coincidence, but I’m not taking another chance right now.

I’m glad you find relief.  I look forward to the day my sleep is restored.

Hoping you continue on your wellness journey.

SG

SG,  I'm sorry it didn't work.  It sounds like you trusted yourself that it didnt work at this time.  I think that's the best guidance.

Melatonin doesnt knock me out but relaxes me.  My sleep is broken and I have to use a small amount of magnesium gylcinate as well, which I'd been using pre-benzos. 

I too look forward to the day my sleep returns.