Giving blood

[Ma...]

Not quite sure where to put this....has anyone given blood while withdrawing?  I was watching news this morning and they were saying most people can give, that most medications are not an issue in giving.

I looked it up on Red Cross sight and could find no reason I can't give.  I have O positive and can give to a lot of people, use to give all the time, but thought because the meds I take would disqualify me, but apparently not.

Just wondering if anyone else has given and if they had any problems?  Our city is really low on O blood, and would like to give if it isn't going to have a bad effect on me.

Thanks for any replies,

Mary  :)

• 3 weeks later...

:smitten:

Hi Mary,

I too have 0 Positive blood type and recently gave blood for our local Red Cross drive. 

I have a Power Red as well when they separate the red blood cells etc.

I've been told it's very healthy to recirculate our blood so i always do this.

Thanks,

Wolfe

Hi Mary,

I too have 0 Positive blood type and recently gave blood for our local Red Cross drive. 

I have a Power Red as well when they separate the red blood cells etc.

I've been told it's very healthy to recirculate our blood so i always do this.

Thanks,

Wolfe

Thank you so much for answering, now I will try.  When no one answered I thought it must not be a good idea, I use to give platelets also.  I will speak to them about a Power Red.  Really, thank you Wolfe  :). Mary

Mary, I gave blood twice when I was tapering. (I try to give every year -- I have a rareish blood type -- B negative). It had no effect on my taper -- didn't set me back at all.

Hope this helps!

Katz

Mary, I gave blood twice when I was tapering. (I try to give every year -- I have a rareish blood type -- B negative). It had no effect on my taper -- didn't set me back at all.

Hope this helps!

Katz

Thanks Katz, for several years I thought they wouldn't want my blood because of the benzo's and migraine meds but a month or so ago, the blood drive people came on and said they really needed O blood, I use to give all the time and they said something that made me think I could give, so I researched and thought I could.  I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't set my symptoms off.  I also give platelets for people that have bee burned.  So thank you for responding, I will definitely go give.

LY 💜

Hi Mary,

I gave blood a few times when I was tapering and in recovery. No problems until the last time and that one knocked me for a loop. No idea what was different the last time, but I waited awhile before I did it again.

Challis

Hi Mary,

I gave blood a few times when I was tapering and in recovery. No problems until the last time and that one knocked me for a loop. No idea what was different the last time, but I waited awhile before I did it again.

Challis

I guess I need to try Challis, at least once since our city is so low on O blood.  Damn, why can't I have some normal blood so I didn't feel guilty  :D

You're so welcome Mary!

And it's fine to give blood if still tapering.  They have there restrictions of course,  but benzos not one.

😘

You're so welcome Mary!

And it's fine to give blood if still tapering.  They have there restrictions of course,  but benzos not one.

😘

;):D