Author Topic: Giving blood  (Read 234 times)

[Buddie]

Giving blood
« on: January 11, 2020, 02:32:28 pm »
Not quite sure where to put this....has anyone given blood while withdrawing?   I was watching news this morning and they were saying most people can give, that most medications are not an issue in giving.
I looked it up on Red Cross sight and could find no reason I can't give.  I have O positive and can give to a lot of people, use to give all the time, but thought because the meds I take would disqualify me, but apparently not.
Just wondering if anyone else has given and if they had any problems?  Our city is really low on O blood, and would like to give if it isn't going to have a bad effect on me.

Thanks for any replies,
[...]  :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Giving blood
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
 :smitten:
Hi [...],

I too have 0 Positive blood type and recently gave blood for our local Red Cross drive. 
I have a Power Red as well when they separate the red blood cells etc.
I've been told it's very healthy to recirculate our blood so i always do this.

Thanks,
Wolfe
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 04:48:25 pm »
Hi [...],

I too have 0 Positive blood type and recently gave blood for our local Red Cross drive. 
I have a Power Red as well when they separate the red blood cells etc.
I've been told it's very healthy to recirculate our blood so i always do this.

Thanks,
Wolfe

Thank you so much for answering, now I will try.  When no one answered I thought it must not be a good idea, I use to give platelets also.  I will speak to them about a Power Red.  Really, thank you Wolfe  :). [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
Wolfe, were you still withdrawing while you gave blood?  I am still tapering.   :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:15:27 pm »
[...], I gave blood twice when I was tapering. (I try to give every year -- I have a rareish blood type -- B negative). It had no effect on my taper -- didn't set me back at all.

Hope this helps!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 08:32:19 pm »
[...], I gave blood twice when I was tapering. (I try to give every year -- I have a rareish blood type -- B negative). It had no effect on my taper -- didn't set me back at all.

Hope this helps!

[...]

Thanks [...], for several years I thought they wouldn't want my blood because of the benzo's and migraine meds but a month or so ago, the blood drive people came on and said they really needed O blood, I use to give all the time and they said something that made me think I could give, so I researched and thought I could.  I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't set my symptoms off.  I also give platelets for people that have bee burned.  So thank you for responding, I will definitely go give.
LY 💜

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 08:37:02 pm »
Hi [...],
I gave blood a few times when I was tapering and in recovery. No problems until the last time and that one knocked me for a loop. No idea what was different the last time, but I waited awhile before I did it again.
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 08:52:54 pm »
Hi [...],
I gave blood a few times when I was tapering and in recovery. No problems until the last time and that one knocked me for a loop. No idea what was different the last time, but I waited awhile before I did it again.
[...]

I guess I need to try [...], at least once since our city is so low on O blood.  Damn, why can't I have some normal blood so I didn't feel guilty  :D

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 10:07:08 pm »
You're so welcome [...]!

And it's fine to give blood if still tapering.  They have there restrictions of course,  but benzos not one.

😘

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 10:13:03 pm »
You're so welcome [...]!

And it's fine to give blood if still tapering.  They have there restrictions of course,  but benzos not one.

😘

;) :D