Podcast: Conversation with Filmmaker Lynn Cunningham of “Medicating Normal”

[La...]

Conversation with Filmmaker Lynn Cunningham of “Medicating Normal”

“Medicating Normal,” a documentary feature film about the overprescribing of psychiatric drugs, premiers at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on January 16th and 17th. We had the distinct privilege to speak with two of the filmmakers this week.

In part one of our two-part series, D had a wonderful conversation with director/producer Lynn Cunningham. Lynn candidly shares the struggles and successes of making this film, the inspiration behind it, and the insights gained from their private screenings and panels.

https://www.benzofree.org/podcast/conversation-with-filmmaker-lynn-cunningham-of-medicating-normal-bfp051/ 

Great Poscast !  Thanks for posting this !

My "take away" from Lynn in the podcast was that people have to "learn to be their own advocate"

.... with medical professionals and in all aspects of their life in the rapidly changing, uncertain world.

Thank you very much, Lapis!! I still have to listen to the rest of it, but I'm delighted that this is finally getting more coverage!! Thanks to all involved in it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My pleasure, top and Terry! I started to listen to it last night, but I was way too exhausted. Hopefully, I'll get to it today. I just wanted to make sure I got it out there, though, so I'm glad you both had a chance to check it out.

I'm hoping that we'll all be able to watch the film at some point. I'm not sure what the plan is for distribution, but the blurb on the podcast page says it will be shown at a film festival in Santa Barbara this week. And perhaps there will be local, state and national media coverage. Then, if it makes its way here to Canada, then I'll be looking out for coverage on this side of the border.  :)

I just listened to it. Great! I loved hearing from the filmmaker and hearing a bit of backstory to how things unfolded. I really do hope the film is seen by many, many people -- including me!

Too bad I can't fly down to SB and see it!!! I just hope it's distributed in other areas. And I'll finish listening to the video today. Thank you so much for letting us know about the various videos, Lapis; they're all wonderful!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wish you could go down to see it too, Terry, or that I could meet you there! If only!

I'm really hoping the filmmakers get this film into the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival in Toronto. It's a huge festival (largest in N. America) that runs for about 10 days in early May, and the media coverage is usually very good.

Best part starts at about 43:50.

If THIS happened to us, there are certainly many other traps that we could easily fall into if we aren't careful. Benzos are just the tip of the iceberg.