Let us discuss Magnesium for sleep (a survey)

[...]

Four question in this survey:

(1) Which type of Magnesium do you take (e.g. Glycinate, Malate, Citrate, Oxide, Chloride, Lactate, Taurate, L-threonate, Sulfate, Orotate, Don't Know)

(2) How much do you take?

(3) When do you take it?

(4) Is it helping you sleep?

I take 50% RDA (200 mg) Magnesium Glycinate right before bed.  I think it is helping me but I wonder if I am taking enough?

For more reading, here is a list of all types of Magnesium and what they do: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/magnesium-types

I take 200mg of glycinate, just ordered more chelates glycinate and May up my dose. Not sure if it’s makig a difference. Had a great past few weeks office  sleep and now I’m up by mid bite for the rest of the night this past 4 nights - could be hormonal fluctuations amplifying things Though.

I take 200mg of glycinate, just ordered more chelates glycinate and May up my dose. Not sure if it’s makig a difference. Had a great past few weeks office  sleep and now I’m up by mid bite for the rest of the night this past 4 nights - could be hormonal fluctuations amplifying things Though.

I found taking 1/2 of my magnesium glycinate at bed and then another 1/4 each time I wake up helps me fall back to sleep.  I take it with a little L'theanine and 1/2 an Advil or aspirin. 

I tried some which had passionflower in it also and got nightmares, which is the demon's way of saying "no thanks'

May have been the passionflower which caused the problem so maybe down the track I'll try straight magnesium

Maybe give Herbatonin a try?  It is a plant-based melatonin supplement (most melatonin supplements are synthetic) at only 0.3mg per serving (about the same amount the body produces each night).  Relatively inexpensive @ $19.00 for 90 vegan capsules.  You can find it on Amazon or just Google it for other purchase options.

• 1 year later...
[e0...]

I take Glycinate. It really doesn't matter. Aspartate, Glycinate, Threonate, all almost equal in absorption. I used both Aspartate and Glycinate interchangeably.

200mg usually, but I've gone as high as 600mg sometimes. I took it non-stop even during my acute phase. It didn't make things worse.

Does it help? Yes. If I can sleep without anything, using it gives me a 5% bonus rest. But during the insomnia? Nope