free from ativan / lorazepam (6 months usage)

[Os...]

I'd like to share my success story to inspire others, and let them know that they can successfully taper from Ativan and they will feel good again.

I was prescribed Ativan for insomnia and panic attacks that arose from a health scare, followed by a very stressful work situation.  I was also prescribed antidepressants, but neither worked.

After a few months, I found myself trapped in a world of panic, depression, anxiety and loneliness, and I knew something was wrong that wasn't internal - I suspected that the medication had made me worse, and that I would have been better off with counseling alone.  I remained with counseling, and talked to close friends and two family members.

After reading about benzo's I recognized a lot of my symptoms.  Using the support of this group, I created a dry taper plan.  Initially I wanted to quit cold turkey, but that resulted in a very scary period of withdrawal.

I put together a reasonable dry taper and tracked it each day, using a google doc that I could access from my phone.

In mid-November, I jumped, and I've felt better and better with each week.  I will never take another benzo again.  I've also tapered off A/D's, but am remaining with counseling, exercise, and trying to eat healthier foods.

I know 6 months of usage could have led to dependency, and I built up tolerance to Ativan very quickly.  I would crave for the refill date, and occasionally I took more than my daily dose, which caused me to run out before the refill date.

I am so glad I found this forum, because it helped me have the courage to taper.  I am free, and I am better than before. I also learned to be very skeptical of putting any drug in my system.  My doctor didn't provide any serious warning, and would have renewed or increased my dosage forever if I had asked for it.

You can do it, and you'll be so much better once the drug has left your system entirely.  It makes me feel so much better to know that I don't have to take that drug, it is totally out of my system and I'm healing everyday.

Love and hope to you.

Great story of hope and success, Osprey. Thanks for sharing it with those who need the reassurance that things will get better.

Challis  :highfive: