Driving

[Pt...]

Anyone else have a diagnosis of ptsd and have experience with reporting this to the DMV? I'm not driving but if I'm miraculously able to recover, I wonder what the legal rules are with driving and having this types of mental illness

I don't look on benzo wd and the PTSD that results from it as being mentally ill. Having temporary (or however long it goes on) brain damage, yes. But you're not going to feel this way permanently. Once a person is labeled as "mentally ill" with the government or doctors, etc., it's hard to shed that moniker.

I have terrible PTSD from medical trauma repeated over and over due to benzos, but I don't look at it as a mental illness. People who have never gone through something like this just don't understand how very difficult it is.

I may not have framed my question right.

I mean I already have a diagnosis of ptsd, which is a mental illness. What are the legal rules of driving with this mental illness? Does it have to be reported to the DMV?

I have PTSD that pre-dates benzo use. Childhood trauma. I have never considered it a "mental illness". In fact, here's what Wiki says about it:

PTSD was classified as an anxiety disorder in the DSM-IV, but has since been reclassified as a "trauma- and stressor-related disorder.

I do not take medication for it. I see my therapist. I consider the information to be private between me and her. It is not in any of my medical records, except hers. I would NEVER tell the DMV about it. Really, why? It's not as if I'll have a flashback while I'm driving lol. Why on earth would it have to be reported to the DMV?

I agree with Terry. Once you get a label, it is almost impossible to get rid of it.

Anyhow . . .  :-\

Katz

Hi PTSDMiracle,

I also have pre-Benzo PTSD.  I am so sorry for everything you are going through and have been enduring for so many months.  I have read many of your other posts.  I can totally relate to much of your situation and the fear around being so debilitated.  Like you I am in the conundrum of missing out on available support because my current symptoms preclude me from organising access to it.  I have enormous respect for your endurance through suffering and I appreciate your openness on this forum.

Like Oregonkatz I choose not to regard PTSD as a mental illness.  That is not because there is anything that should be stigmatised about having mental illness, in my opinion. 

It's for reasons that are outlined in this YouTube clip which I came across yesterday.  The speaker also has another clip about issues with medicating PTSD.

Someone once told me that PTSD is an Injury, not an Illness.  That makes sense to me, and is true of the cause of my PTS'D' - I was harmed (injured).  That it is why I call it 'Post Traumatic Stress Injury'.

I'm not driving at the moment either.  This morning I have to go out of the house (first time in about two weeks) for an appointement.  My partner will drive me.  It's taking a lot of focused effort for me to manage going out at all.  I am hopeful of recovery.  And for grateful for that hope. 

I hope for you too. I know it is difficult.  I hope it starts to pass soon.

Hi PTSDMiracle,

I also have pre-Benzo PTSD.  I am so sorry for everything you are going through and have been enduring for so many months.  I have read many of your other posts.  I can totally relate to much of your situation and the fear around being so debilitated.  Like you I am in the conundrum of missing out on available support because my current symptoms preclude me from organising access to it.  I have enormous respect for your endurance through suffering and I appreciate your openness on this forum.

Like Oregonkatz I choose not to regard PTSD as a mental illness.  That is not because there is anything that should be stigmatised about having mental illness, in my opinion. 

It's for reasons that are outlined in this YouTube clip which I came across yesterday.  The speaker also has another clip about issues with medicating PTSD.

Someone once told me that PTSD is an Injury, not an Illness.  That makes sense to me, and is true of the cause of my PTS'D' - I was harmed (injured).  That it is why I call it 'Post Traumatic Stress Injury'.

I'm not driving at the moment either.  This morning I have to go out of the house (first time in about two weeks) for an appointement.  My partner will drive me.  It's taking a lot of focused effort for me to manage going out at all.  I am hopeful of recovery.  And for grateful for that hope. 

I hope for you too. I know it is difficult.  I hope it starts to pass soon.

Thanks