How to work around brand switches

[Zu...]

Hey all,

I haven't started tapering as of yet, but a thought occured to me when I picked up my xanax script today.

They switched brands, and gave me half of my script from one manufacture, and the other half from another. The pills look different in size, and I am assuming when I go to weigh them it wont be an even 1:1 ratio.

How does one get around this problem when tapering?

Thanks!

I have taken several brands of benzos and have never felt any difference. I know many people here have different experiences. I know that anticipatory anxiety is a factor. I would not really worry about this. It is probably worth staying on the same dose of benzo for a while after switching brands to see whether it really has any effects.

Hello, Zurek. 

If I were you, I would take action to avoid this problem. You are correct that pills from different manufacturers have different weights.  Assuming you are planning a direct/dry taper, pills with different weights will add an additional variable.

So, if I were you, I would contact the lead pharmacist at your pharmacy to ask (in a polite and respectful manner, of course) questions to gauge whether or not your current pharmacy is a “good fit.”  For example:

(1) Why was my prescription filled with pills from two different manufacturers?

(2) How likely is it that this will happen again?

(3) What can my pdoc and I do to ensure that, moving forward, my prescription is filled with pills from the same manufacturer?

If you get the sense that your pharmacist is not supportive of filling future prescriptions with pills from the same manufacturer, you might consider finding another pharmacy. 

I encountered the same issue as you a while back.  I learned that I could ask my pdoc to write DAW - Dispense As Written - prescriptions that include the name of the manufacturer and the NDC (National Drug Code) code.  I also learned that different pharmacies use different distributors/suppliers that stock different manufacturers.  So I called around until I found a pharmacy that (a) used a distributor that stocked my preferred manufacturer and (b) was AOK with filling DAW prescriptions.

Thank you Maugham and Libertas!

Not a bad idea to request a specific type whenever I do start tapering again. The first time I switched brands I did feel more symptomatic but I also deal with interdose WD everyday already.

After I get this big project at work finished (or I find a new job because this one is too stressful) I plan on getting myself ready to taper. Just hoping my new doc is willing to work with me on all this. That question is still up in the air, but thank you again for the helpful information!

You are most welcome, Zurek!  I’m glad the information was helpful. I hope all goes well with your new physician. You appear to be taking a thoughtful and considered approach to planning your taper - my experience is that healthcare professionals respond positively and supportively when their patients do this!  Libertas