Augmentin bring on acute w/d symptoms?

[Jo...]

I am 104 days off of klonopin and was admitted to the hospital with diverticulitus with micro preferation,,,,,

I had IV diflucan and then augmentin 10 days after

I was doing ok, but after that I have not felt right, headaches, new dizziness, bad anxiety,

this whole situation seemed to have triggered awful symptoms for me,,,,,

I dont think augmentin is a flourqinalone,,,,,,,and there is no way I could know for sure if the antibiotics or the the worry of the hospital stay triggered this

Have you have issue with augmentin?

Yes. Big time issue. But I asked the pharmacist if the CLAV part of Amox Clav behaves like a flouroquinalone.  He said no. But due to doctors telling me taking Xanax for 20 years was not bad, I have a general mistrust now. All I know is 6 days into taking 875 mg of Augmentin 2x a day, I went off the rails. Horrid anxiety, nonstop palps, despair and horrific shaking. Felt a good window this a.m. but now sliding into the pit again. I really think this antibiotic screwed me up. Anyone else?

I guess I am one of the few who took Augmentin and had no ill effects. I went to the ER -- the CT scan showed diverticulitis. Ugh. So I took 7 days of the highest dose of the antibiotic and felt . . .nada. I was scared to death but it was a "nothing burger." I made sure to take a wide-spectrum probiotic along with the A so that might have helped.

It's a crap shoot with antibiotics, isn't it?

Best,

:smitten:

Katz

I think we have to remember that every drug and every supplement has a side effect profile.  Even those not on benzos might have a negative reaction to a medication.

I have always been a 'light weight' in terms of medications and often need just tiny doses, child size.  I also have true allergies to penicillan and sufa.  I did have a bad reaction to a floroquinolone years ago, I believe this class of antibiotic should be used as a last resort, but some people tolerate it just fine.

The zpack is my 'go to' AB, I tolerate it well and it does the trick for my occasional ear/sinus infections.

pianogirl  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Augmentin has set me back terribly, everyone is different though. I have a friend who took it, no issues earlier, and took again and set it her back. I can tell you categorically, it is not a side effect, I have not taken it for a while, but it messed my system. I think it's important to be validated by what's happened to you, you know you're own body.

• 1 month later...
Presently on Augmentin for sinus infection and think it's sending me down the rabbit hole of adverse sx:. anxiety, fragmented sleep, depressive sx etc. This med didn't cause problems in the past but maybe the further out things go in recovery (3 yrs 4 months) new challenges arise?  Anyone else find they're experiencing new adverse effects from old tried and true meds the further they are from stopping benzos?

Presently on Augmentin for sinus infection and think it's sending me down the rabbit hole of adverse sx:. anxiety, fragmented sleep, depressive sx etc. This med didn't cause problems in the past but maybe the further out things go in recovery (3 yrs 4 months) new challenges arise?  Anyone else find they're experiencing new adverse effects from old tried and true meds the further they are from stopping benzos?

I found they all changed once I STARTED benzos.. Then yes, everything then had a benzo like WD upon discontinuation.. Its a bit more complicated than that, but thats the gist of it...

Benzo hooks can go in deep, often laying just below the surface, waiting, for quite some time..

Antibiotics can do what you listed on their own for some people, but throw in a recent benzo WD on top, and its even more possible...

perhaps keep an eye towards a healthy GI tract, if you arnt already..? It should get better in time...

:)