How common is it to be (mostly) asymptomatic for weeks or months and then hit...

[Li...]

... with acute or protracted? I’ve read/watched two different people’s stories where this happen. One man said he went through a taper and it was manageable and then he awoke two weeks later with severe symptoms and now he’s back on and holding. Another woman said she felt fine for SIX MONTHS after stopping Ativan and then went into protracted.

I realize these stories are probably the exception rather than the rule but imagine feeling fine for half a year only to experience withdrawal that late? And that was from Ativan, a fast-acting benzo. At this point I know I’m just scaring myself but gosh it’s hard to draw the line between preparing and terrifying myself.

The changes to the GABAa receptors as a result of benzodiazepine use should begin to reverse (usually in a non-linear pattern) over time starting when the drug begins to be withdrawn.  A six month delay in the onset of withdrawal symptoms is unlikely, fortunately. 

Fear is rampant in withdrawal though, so I understand why you’re worried.  I tried to avoid the scary stories and stay as positive as I could. Easier said than done, I know.

:smitten: