Cognitive impairment

[Ro...]

Hello,

I was wondering how this has affected others in their daily life.

As for me I couldn't learn new and very simple things, I couldn't understand or follow simple instructions...

I experienced severe cognitive impairment during withdrawal attempts. My cognitive functions returned after up-dosing. Best Wishes

I had difficulty during my withdrawal, but I compensated by making lists, taking notes, reading and rereading, asking questions and generally going slower in just about everything I did or said. 

How are you doing now Rodollfo, it looks like you've been benzo free for awhile now, have you noticed any improvement?

I experienced severe cognitive impairment during withdrawal attempts. My cognitive functions returned after up-dosing. Best Wishes

Same here but can’t stay on and headed back there.

When was off first time couldn’t write rent cheque or work out how to cut up a carrot, set wheatbags on fire in microwave, couldn’t work out how to use phone or spell simple words etc.

During this taper have forgotten my own name and how to put my knickers on. I find bits of half eaten crackers etc  over the place. Can’t remember what I am trying to do halfway through doing things like trying to wash face etc.

I became as dumb as a post on my taper. I feared I would never get my brain back. But when my taper was over, after a few months I could see my brain recovering. Now? I would say I'm better than I was even before benzos. I was not great during the years I took xanax, ativan, Ambien and valium.  :(

Hope this helps,

Katz

Needed to count fingers and toes for simple math for awhile...seriously. When I was able months later to help my grandson with mixed fractions and decimals I knew I was on the mend.

I'm suffering from immense cognitive impairment on this taper (been tapering since mid 2018..) It's getting hard to deal with.. I get so tired of it...

To anyone that has fully come off benzos, how long was it before your cognitive clarity came back?

So glad you weighed in oregonkatz! Like Pam, I keep a notebook in my pocket at all times at work. I have to write down the simplest things because 2 minutes later I won't remember it. This seems to be the worst with remembering numbers (I work in healthcare and have to remember weights, blood pressures, etc.). unless I am entering it right then in the computer, I write it down or it is lost...and I have to ask patient to retake it. Ugghh. Glad to know this memory capacit does return. But a whole YEAR after taper is complete???  Ayyyiiiii!

Others may recover sooner, Dont. I had a long, miserable taper, full of rotten s/x. Ppl with shorter tapers, or those who did not have a history of multiple benzos and psych drugs as I did, may well recover faster. As we say on here: "Everyone's different". So, chin up!

:smitten:

Katz

Thanks Katz for the encouragement. I am trying hard not to compare myself with others as this journey is my own. Having been through K-pin ct, it is really hard to not let fear creep in. I am praying that this taper will be a much less difficult process. I'm so sorry you had such a long haul. 33 months for just one drug is a long time! But you made it...through all of them. You ROCK!

Rodolfo- you are amazing! 40 years dependent and 1 year to freedom. YESSSS!!!

Yes!! I know!! Thank you!!!!

I cant believe it myself that I am free from benzos...after so many years.

Of course, I still have symptoms and there are days when I feel really bad.

But you know? I am so happy that I am free from the dependency!

For my work I have to travel a lot, mostly abroad...and normally, I was so afraid to CT away from home. I would go on the plane holding the pills, afraid of loosing them.

I needed them as if they were the oxygen I needed to breathe.

I must admit that I couldn't have done it without this site!!!

I found eliminate alcohol in any form including cooking wine, alcohol hidden in any other food such as vinegar is the key. Each time I touched tiny bit my cognitive would worsen greatly

• 2 weeks later...
4 mom, I hadn't thought of vinegar. I'm going to stop putting it in my salad from now on. Maybe that's hindering my healing. Have you improved a bit more lately?

I had difficulty during my withdrawal, but I compensated by making lists, taking notes, reading and rereading, asking questions and generally going slower in just about everything I did or said. 

How are you doing now Rodollfo, it looks like you've been benzo free for awhile now, have you noticed any improvement?

Hi Pamster,

Certainly I've noticed (slow but firm) improvements with my cognitive impairments after my taper!!

For example, now I can read books, thing that I enjoy so much! Meaning that I can now concentrate in the plot, remember the story and the names of characters, etc.

My mind is do much clearer now! I was actually a benzozombie...