Switched to Compounding for K ( 0.28 mgs left) questions though

[Ha...]

K, after 2019 , my "annus horribilis"  meaning very bad year lol,  I finally got switched over to a costly 35 bucks a

week compounding solution , ( as I've been suffering quite badly,) I did 564 days of a water taper

from 1.5 mg's of K , to this dose of 0.28 mg's  a day which I dose from 3 times a day, like the water taper

and the pill itself in the distant past,  so first dose is 0.8 ml  , second is 1.0 ml, and third night dose is 1.0 ml, also

it says on script this, "In 4 weeks  reduce midday dose to 0.8ml"  so  soon will be down to 0.26 mg's , or just over half of a 0.5 mg pill  of Klonopin , not sure how long it will take to finish this off time wise , but will be patient with this  suspension mix is 0.1MG/ML , I think the holding at the new dose/method for 4 weeks , is to get my body smoothed out... I'm just not sure how often I should reduce, and can't figure out math for the 10% a month part lol , started using this yesterday....

Congratulations on reducing your clonazepam dose from 1.5mg to 0.28mg, HappyOne10001 - that’s a major accomplishment!  Your decision to use a professionally prepared compounded suspension of clonazepam versus a homemade liquid made with water is a wise one IMO.

Based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere, many individuals need to slow down their taper rate when they reach the mid-to late-stages of their taper.

According to your prescription, your initial taper rate is 7.14% per month (i.e. you are reducing your total daily dose from 0.28mg per day in Month 1 to 0.26mg per day in Month 2).

What taper rate did you use when your were doing the water titration? 

Is your prescriber open to letting you to adjust your taper rate as needed to keep your symptoms tolerable?  (You may need to experiment to determine a rate that will work for you.)

Re: your question about taper schedule (i.e. how often should I reduce) ... what schedule did you use when you were doing the water titration?  Once a month?  Every other week?  Every week?  Every day? 

Re: your question about the math ... once you have decided on the taper rate and taper schedule you want to try, members here can provide the formulas and examples to get you started. Happily, the math involved is straightforward and there are online calculators you can use to help. 

Also, you might consider recruiting a family member or someone in your social support network who is good at math to assist you.  I’ve read here and elsewhere that it’s wise to re-visit your taper plan on at least a monthly basis to determine if you need to make adjustments in your taper rate or taper schedule plus re-calculate your reductions based on the previous month’s dose.

thanks for the reply, my water taper rate was all over the place, but I had been holding since Halloween, as I was tanking

and working on this plan, ( waiting for appts etc) when I was doing the water only taper, I was removing 1 ml a day from 300 mls

the place that does the compounding is really expensive, I spent 472 bucks, before I even got the first bottle, which is good for only 14 days, and must be kept in fridge, there is only 1 14 day repeat on script, and I'm getting my own doc to take over, script, when I see him Jan 17th ( so I don't have to pay 200 dollars ( again) for the compounding pharmacie'nurse, who wrote the starting dose, to get script going,  I'm doing this on welfare also ( credit card debt is going to be nasty, and I've cut heating and food out of my budget, ( inside temp is 54F)  but I have no choice, and no family help, I have no friends, and exist alone , that goes for math help also , so doing the best I can,  but I won't lie to say I wasn't suicidal on Xmas which really sucked, It's very obvious I've suffered a major breakdown the last 3-4 months,  not doing well at all , wish I could meet/find someone local going through this also

It sounds like you are faced with making a “best guess” in terms of selecting a taper rate and taper schedule to try.  If I were you, I would start with a conservative rate, closely monitor my withdrawal symptoms, and adjust my rate accordingly.

I wonder if your compounding pharmacy is over-charging you?  For example, I researched two compounding pharmacies.  One gave an estimate of $20 (US) a month using generic tablets as the drug source; the second, $60 using brand.

I have no choice but to use this place, as it's close to me, and has delivery,  being Agoraphobic,

the other 2 places are simply too far, and would require  long trips on city buses ( as I don't/can't drive)

I haven't been on a bus in 5 years, it would kill me with the anxiety/AG  . I got the intake paid for on Credit Card lol

now the drug itself is 38 Canadian bucks a week delivered every 14 days as they told me, they only make 14 days up as it goes bad and I admit they have done a superb job of that part, it's really easy to use/dose from, and no more making up dose jars

daily ( which took 30 mins everyday)  in 564 days of using 3 dose jars a day, ( Started June 17th 2018) I made up 1692 jars total lol

they may, but they charge 100 bucks for 30 min consult, and I've spent enough so far, 200 for initial consult, followed by a 200 dollar phone call with a private nurse they use to initialize script for compounding, ( kind of like the way a medical cannabis place does a script )  luckily my actual doc will be taking it over.

I can't wait to see him on Jan 17th,  all the info from this place has been forwarded to him via fax also,  so he should have it

K, after 2019 , my "annus horribilis"  meaning very bad year lol,  I finally got switched over to a costly 35 bucks a

week compounding solution , ( as I've been suffering quite badly,) I did 564 days of a water taper

from 1.5 mg's of K , to this dose of 0.28 mg's  a day which I dose from 3 times a day, like the water taper

and the pill itself in the distant past,  so first dose is 0.8 ml  , second is 1.0 ml, and third night dose is 1.0 ml, also

it says on script this, "In 4 weeks  reduce midday dose to 0.8ml"  so  soon will be down to 0.26 mg's , or just over half of a 0.5 mg pill  of Klonopin , not sure how long it will take to finish this off time wise , but will be patient with this  suspension mix is 0.1MG/ML , I think the holding at the new dose/method for 4 weeks , is to get my body smoothed out... I'm just not sure how often I should reduce, and can't figure out math for the 10% a month part lol , started using this yesterday....

Hi Happy,

I've found this calculator to be helpful:

https://reversepsychiatry.org/

If you type in .26 for "Start" and .025 for "End" then it says that there are 23 cuts. I reference .025 since that is the dosage that a number of people who take Klonopin "jump" at, but you may want to get as close to 0 as possible. I'm starting off at .26 since you said that you will be taking that dose after 4 weeks.                       

A 10% cut at .26 Mgs would will get you down to .234 Mgs. You will want to drop by .0087 ML every day (.26/30) in order to get from .26 Mgs to .234 Mgs in 30 days. If your daily dose schedule is 1st 0.8 ml 2nd .8 ml 3rd 1.0 ml when you start then your first daily cut will look like this:

1st .8 ml 2nd .8 ml 3rd .9913 ml (1-.0087)

This would give you a total dose for the day of .25913 MGs. If you drop .0087 ML each day for 30 days then you will get to .234 MGs. You can keep track of these daily cuts in an Excel spreadsheet or you can use a notebook.

If you don't want to get that precise then just drop from .26 to .234 and then stay at that dosage for 30 days. Your daily dosage for 30 days would look like this:

1st .8 ml 2nd .8 ml 3rd .74 ml (1-.26)

The next cut would then be from .234 to .2106. Your daily cut would then drop to .0078 ML (.234/30).

Repeat every 30 days until you get as close to 0 as possible.

This is just an idea, but if you hold for a week or 2 at 0.25mg, can you get pills?

I hold at pill-amount intervals and feel that it helps me recover a little.

Good luck!

no, I have no pills left, or benzos in Pill Form, in Canada you can only get a Benzo from one source at once, as it's a controlled

substance,  so now that I have it prescribed compounded, this is the only way I have now,  I gave the pills 564 days of my best attempt, and have not faired well, 

• 2 weeks later...

The wonderful support you all provide says to reduce the amount we are taking based on symptoms.

For those of you tapering from K, when do symptoms show up?  I started a taper in November at 0.5mg and I am at now at 0.365. If you have symptoms that are difficult do you just hold at that dosage or do you update? When do people update? I am also working with a compounding pharmacy. Thanks for your help with this!