Needing advice

[...]

Hello everyone.

I'm writing here because I need info for my mother, who takes benzo once in a while.

She takes Lexotan (Bromazepam) for anxiety, 2 times a week or more sometimes, 8 drops (that is 0.8mg).

Not much of course, but I'm wondering what is the risk for developing tolerance.

She takes it since a long time and isn't listening to me saying that this can be very dangerous. I spent many years of suffering to get out of benzos..

She's having strong sympthoms lately, like high blood pressure and tachicardia, she even ran once to the hospital suspecting heart attack (and all the tests were ok).

So, does someone know for sure what is the risk for developing tolerance with intermittent use?

Thank you very much.

Hi Jaco.

I’ve seen people develop a dependency with intermittent use and some who don’t develop much of a dependency even with long time regular use...there’s no way to know unless withdrawal symptoms occur as a result of abstinence.

We usually have to reach the realization that the pills are a problem before deciding a taper is next.  Maybe slowly begin to education your mom about some of the drawbacks and signs that the pills may be a problem.

Best to you and your mom. This is a difficult road but worth the journey for most people.

Challis

I have always wondered about intermittent use and how far should the doses be spread apart to sidestep the addiction component from doing this. My own mother takes a benzo about once a month and has been doing this regularly for many years and she has never developed a problem. I have personally warned her about the risks associated with long-term chronic benzo administration though. She has seen firsthand how sick the drugs have made me over the years, so she is very careful. Benzos are very safe and effective / well tolerated drugs when used like this IMO.

Doctors enable use by writing the prescription and telling patients not to worry. I assume your mother has a prescription and her doctor is fine with her use of benzos.

Stopping benzos, like any other dependency/addiction requires the person taking the drug to want to stop taking it so don't expect that you will change your mother's mind.

Hello,

I thank you very much for all your kind answers.

I know I have not any possibility to change the mind of anyone, but I would try to inform her.

The main problem anyway is trying to separate sympthoms related to benzos by other sympthoms. But I know this is not easy in general.

Anyway, I'll try to tell her some of the suggestions you provided to me.

I wish you a lot of joy and health.

Jaco