Started my ativan Taper

[Bl...]

I take lorazepam 0.5 mg twice daily . once around noon and once before bed. To day i removed 1 quarter of the .50 mg and already feel abit of side effects. im expecting these feeling. My question is how many days until these side effects go away. Do they actually go away? i dont mind suffering of cutting the dose if it means i will be functioning for work and symptoms get better before i drop another dose.

Thank you so much  I tried the water titration and using a scale  but when  i take with water i dont feel anything and when i try using an mg scale it is really jumpy. maybe because the minimum it can measure is 1 mg and im trying for 0.50 mg

I don't have experience tapering, but I've read that the symptoms will build for the first few days, then level off, then lessen but not go away, some say that's when they know its okay to cut again.  I'm sure others will stop by with their observations, and of course, it will be better hear from someone with firsthand experience.  ;)

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you had to spend the money on the scale and it didn't work out for you.  I ran across this method a couple of days ago, thought I'd give you the link in case you want to use it down the line.  Bob7 Benzo Dry Taper Method

Be sure to check in with the folks on the Ativan support thread to get their take on your plan.

Hi pamster no need to apologize! I tried and learned from the experience! right now i feel abit bad but not terrible but i only cut my dose this morning so terrified its gonna get so bad its gonna make it hard to function at work this week . I just want this crap out but doesnt everyone haha

Hi blkhawks...

I tapered Xanax which is a short-acting benzodiazepine like Ativan. Pamster described how symptoms usually resolve when you’re tapering and I’d agree.  Since Ativan leaves the body quickly the symptoms (IMO) shouldn’t get worse as long as you don’t continue to cut, just hold this cut until the symptoms subside. As Pam said, they may not go all the way away, I’d expect some anxiety and mild symptoms as normal for the withdrawal process.

Hope that’s of some reassurance.

Challis

Thank you so much Challis that's so assuring . Weird how I cut this morning and already feeling withdrawal 7 hours later ill hold this dose until I feel a little better thank you all the best

Hi gang. Wanted to join the party since I am tapering Ativan as well. Officially started last week.

Blkhawks- I am working down from the same amount as you but I have dry cut and split into 3 doses per day to try and avoid interdose wd. I haven't noticed any difference thus far but having been through acute wd a few years back, I am doing whatever I can to avoid that nightmare. The advice here is sound. Cut and hold until you feel ready to continue. Like you, I have to continue working through it all. We can do this!  :thumbsup:

Pamster- I just read your success story and it really spoke to me. Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us. I went through a very similar wd in 2015. Had I not been talked into adding ativan to my cocktail in 2016, perhaps I'd have a success story to tell by now. But life happens and I'm here to work on my success story now.

Hugs to all of you!

I'm so relieved people with experience stopped by to provide input, nothing like first hand to let you know what to expect. 

Dont4get2breathe, I'm sorry you're facing this, I can't imagine going through it more than once but I can see you're doing it right this time.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pam. I don’t know how it happened that I am facing this a second time. Somewhere in the first year my psych doc suggested adding the Ativan. I started working with him after my first wd off klonopin. I’m sure I told him I’d never take Benzos again so I don’t know if he added it and I agreed or if he added it and never explained it was a benzo. I never did any research on it- that I remember. I may have taken it knowingly. I just don’t remember- common theme with me and my med history. After I stopped drinking this summer I started thinking about weaning my meds. It was the end of the year when I “realized” I was taking another benzo. I was so shocked but couldn’t even cry. I felt just numb. But through research I found BB and am taking the slow steps I now know are necessary to get through this. Trying to stay positive because the fear of what “could happen” will take over and make this so much worse.

Happy Sunday to all!

Is it interdose withdrawal or do you think you cut too much? I know you're feeling awful, but do some research before you decide to go with Valium, talk to the folks in the  Valium Support Group, join in the thread and ask for their opinions.  I just want you to be fully informed, there is not an easy way of doing this, every option sucks.

Blkhawk- Pam offers good advice. I hope you can find a window where you feel well enough to do some research before speaking to your psychiatrist. It's ridiculous to read what I just wrote but that's the reality. We have to help each other out because the medical providers just aren't as informed as they need to be. Sending you HUGS!! You can do this!  :thumbsup:

i appreciate the feed back everyone. Yeah these doctors think stopping these meds is like giving up coffee lol. Oh you wanna stop ativan no problem just stop tomorrow and go to work. Im gonna continue cutting the quarter tablets for now. i really appreciate and yes we have to help eachother out in this. Pam i have no idea how you stopped cold turkey. i feel like such a wimp cutting 1/8 of my dose and complaining loll

i appreciate the feed back everyone. Yeah these doctors think stopping these meds is like giving up coffee lol. Oh you wanna stop ativan no problem just stop tomorrow and go to work. Im gonna continue cutting the quarter tablets for now. i really appreciate and yes we have to help eachother out in this. Pam i have no idea how you stopped cold turkey. i feel like such a wimp cutting 1/8 of my dose and complaining loll

We all hurt while going though this, I don't consider my experience to be any worse than what anyone else goes through.  I've read the pain and anguish we all suffer for many years, and I don't consider anyone wimps.  I did what I did because I was uninformed and by the time I realized what I should have done, it was too late.  I was one of the lucky ones, I was able to go back to work three weeks after my cold turkey, not many people can do that. 

People who taper are brave, I can't imagine the courage it must take to continue to put this poison in your body knowing what it's done to you, I admire that.