Do all instances of taking and stopping benzos count as "withdrawal?"

[Li...]

I ask because I've been a mostly PRN user of various benzos for a decade. Rarely daily usage. Never quite noticed anything resembling withdrawal. These past two months with my near daily Klonopin use I wonder if maybe I was kindling all those years and didn't know it. The only thing that MAY have been withdrawal that I'm recalling is that once when I wasn't taking Klonopin, about 3 weeks after my last dose (not daily but a few times a week), I developed burning itchy skin which persisted for a while even after reinstating. But I never felt ANY psychological or other physical symptoms so I never made the connection to the Klonopin especially since taking it didn't stop the reaction though it did eventually stop. Not positive it was related since I have often experienced neuropathic symptoms due to stress and anxiety but realizing I was out of Klonopin at the time makes me suspicious.

I've cut down drastically on my usage, trying to go back to a few times a week and then stop, in the absence of other symptoms.

If I did in fact experience a minor withdrawal, is it a given that trying to stop now will be worse? I have noticed no real symptoms in my drastic cutback and none after 48 hours of no meds. I took a .5 this morning because I'm in an anxious situation (was/am severely agoraphobic and monophonic long before benzos) but I'm going to continue to try to experiment with taking it less and less frequently.

In my opinion, using PRN or taking as needed is simply that.  Not taking it would not be withdrawal, it would be not needing or taking it.  I'm glad you're asking questions, and looking at your use and the possibility of withdrawals, but you may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't or won't fall victim to benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome and for that I'm extremely happy. 

Continue to experiment and don't worry about kindling, this is a theory that doesn't seem to apply to you and your circumstances. 

In my opinion, using PRN or taking as needed is simply that.  Not taking it would not be withdrawal, it would be not needing or taking it.  I'm glad you're asking questions, and looking at your use and the possibility of withdrawals, but you may be one of the lucky ones who doesn't or won't fall victim to benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome and for that I'm extremely happy. 

Continue to experiment and don't worry about kindling, this is a theory that doesn't seem to apply to you and your circumstances.

I tend to agree except the burning and itching I experienced weeks out from stopping over the summer was truly bizarre and now that I've learned it's a common WD symptom I'm not sure what else to chalk it up to. Of course if that's going to be the worst of it, I'll take it, but it was very strange.

Since I didn't have burning or itching so I can't speak to that, but others may share their experience.  Last summer I had a rash, but it was heat and moisture related for which I was prescribed a topical antibiotic.  Of course I'm 12 years out from my benzo use, so they're the last thing I suspect now.  ;D

Does it matter? Obviously, you're concerned about benzo use or you wouldn't be here. Quitting now will be easier than quitting later.

My skins burns and itches like crazy and I think the worst thing I have is muscle tightening/spasms.  It hurts so badly and I keep asking myself if this is all worth it?  I keep answering, "Yes, it is."