Finally healed and able to live life fully after 7+ years!

[Na...]

Dear Benzobuddies,

I am here to report that I am finally fully healed after 7+ years.

Even though some of my symptoms were reduced within 5 years, I had remained significantly disabled until about a year ago.

The lingering issues, were first and foremost fatigue that was easily triggered by activities, stress, and was preventing me living a normal life, migraine headaches, which were recurrent and frequent and required 2-3 days in order to resolve. Also my left hand burning, as well as twitches, fibromyalgic pain, and other neurological symptoms were lingering.

With the exception of the tinnitus, which I had before this whole ordeal begun, pretty much everything else has resolved. I never before in my life had any of the other symptoms, until after benzo withdrawal. Therefore I feel very sure that this was the source of them.

I spent thousands of dollars going to different practitioners, and trying different techniques, but nothing helped in any sustained way. I was seeing some temporary improvement many times, but it was a fragile one at best, if any improvement happened at all. I did not give up though. I kept trying different things until finally about a year ago, I found the method that really healed me.

I was reading an article on doctor Mercola's website about energy and breathing, and that is where I saw something about the Buteyko method. After doing some more research, I found the only group that teaches the so called "Classical Buteyko Method". There appear to be different teachers of the method in general, but these folks and their so called classical method, testimonials etc, got me the most interested. Also I read about the science on why and how the method works, on a biological and physiological level, and I decided to try.

I had been mostly "homebound" due to the fatigue and unpredictability of my energy levels for 6 years. Within a couple of weeks I was doing significantly better with the fatigue, and within a month, I took my first trip away from home, feeling mostly well. My progress continued to build month after month, until all my lingering benzo symptoms are now fully resolved. I still practice mostly every day, but the results start early, and build up with time, and most importantly they are durable. It is evident to me that the method builds up and restores one's neuroreceptors and neurotransmitters, and therefore hormone regulation step by step. I have enough energy now to do just about anything I used to do. My migraines have resolved, along with my twitches, skin burning, fibromyalgic pain, and other neurological problems. 

I wanted to share my story with you all because I suffered unnecessarily for all these years and know that many of you still do.  I wish I had known about this healing method earlier as it would have made a world of difference. Hopefully more people can take advantage of it and heal as I did.

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year, and all the best to you and your loved ones.

Naturalhealing.

Hi HN,

Great to see you're now fully healed! Congrats! It must feel really marvellous to have your life back.

Thank you for mentioning the Classical Buteyko Method.  I'm sure I 've seen it before somewhere.  Will look at it again.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks and well done!

I used to do Buteyko for my ME/CFS but muscles at back of ribs so rigid it is very hard Atm

Can I ask if your fibro stuff included very severe muscle tightness that made all muscles contract and pull unable to be stretched or release at all whatever you did?

Good to hear! What sorts of mental symptoms did you deal with and how long did they take to resolve?

Dear Boomboxboy21,

The mental symptoms that I dealt with were anxiety, panic attacks, mild to moderate depression, overall state of pessimism and disbelief at my situation, severe insomnia with completely disregulated sleep architecture, and perhaps more, that I cannot recall right now.

I am now experiencing calmness, ability to focus and concentrate well, and no longer experience any of the other dreadful things that I mentioned.

NH

Thanks and well done!

I used to do Buteyko for my ME/CFS but muscles at back of right bs so rigid it is very hard Atm

Can I ask if your fibro stuff included very severe muscle tightness that made all muscles contract and pull unable to be stretched or release at all whatever you did?

Dear Ajusta,

My fibro symptoms did not become that severe. Nevertheless, at the most severe stage of benzo wd, I had several painful areas all over my body and particularly at my upper back. It was difficult for me to sit or do anything physical without experiencing significant muscle  pain. Symptoms were prominent first thing in the morning usually, but lingered throughout the day.

I believe that as I was progressing in my healing, the severity gradually lessened until all fibro symptoms were fully resolved.  It was not an instant resolution. With continuous effort they gradually got better and better until they resolved.

NH

Good to hear! What sorts of mental symptoms did you deal with and how long did they take to resolve?

Dear Boomboxboy21,

The mental symptoms that I dealt with were anxiety, panic attacks, mild to moderate depression, overall state of pessimism and disbelief at my situation, severe insomnia with completely disregulated sleep architecture, and perhaps more, that I cannot recall right now.

I am now experiencing calmness, ability to focus and concentrate well, and no longer experience any of the other dreadful things that I mentioned.

NH

I'm dealing with constant chronic worry about my job right now. Still have sleep issues and moderate depression. No interest in anything. The fatigue is still pretty bad. And I'm always agitated and angry. I have pessimism too, as you described. I really hope this doesn't take 7 years to resolve.

Did you just leave this forum for years?

Dear Boomboxboy21,

NH

I'm dealing with constant chronic worry about my job right now. Still have sleep issues and moderate depression. No interest in anything. The fatigue is still pretty bad. And I'm always agitated and angry. I have pessimism too, as you described. I really hope this doesn't take 7 years to resolve.

Did you just leave this forum for years?

Dear Boomboxboy 21,

I did have all the symptoms you have and then some.

Yes I did leave the forum for several years. I tried just about everything in order to heal. The classical buteyko method was the only solution that healed me. I wish I had known earlier, as I would not have to quit my job and sell all my belongings. If I had known about the method then, it probably would have made a world of difference.

NH

What is the classical buteyko method?

You can do a google search for it and you will see. It is the original breathing method that Dr Buteyko taught. There are many copycats out there though, so that is why the term "classical" separates the original teaching from the rest.

NH.

Thank  you so very much for coming back and reporting your success!! At almost 6 years out, I look for inspirational success stories such as these!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! WELL DONE!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear Naturalhealing,

I am so happy for you!

Thanks so much for sharing your success with Buteiko method.  I've off benzos for 6 1/2 years and still suffer tremendously from insomnia. You mentioned that you had insomnia problems as well. Could you please write a little bit about timeframe and effect of Buteiko breathing method on sleep?

Thanks so much!

Lots of health and happiness in New Year!

Ellen

Thank  you so very much for coming back and reporting your success!! At almost 6 years out, I look for inspirational success stories such as these!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! WELL DONE!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear Terry38,

You are very welcome.

I was 6 years out too, and still had not fully healed. After applying the method I mentioned though, I am back to normal.

Best wishes for full healing and a fulfilling life.

NH

Dear Naturalhealing,

I am so happy for you!

Thanks so much for sharing your success with Buteiko method.  I've off benzos for 6 1/2 years and still suffer tremendously from insomnia. You mentioned that you had insomnia problems as well. Could you please write a little bit about timeframe and effect of Buteiko breathing method on sleep?

Thanks so much!

Lots of health and happiness in New Year!

Ellen

Dear Ellen,

You are welcome. I am happy to respond, and will continue to do so as long as people are interested.

The classical Buteyko method, in my experience, induces calming of the mind rapidly. Without getting into many details, the breathing method increases your CO2 levels in your body. Despite its current demonisation, CO2 is the universal nutrient for plants as well as animals. There is much research on this issue going back 100 years, and can provide more info if you want. Long story short, CO2 calms the brain very effectively, and also effectively recalibrates, and restores receptors and neurons throughout the nervous system.

Within a week of practicing diligently I saw a significant difference. The practice at first is not easy to do or to learn. One needs to have a good practitioner/teacher, and be truly determined to work at it. It is not easy. Dr Buteyko, only recommended practicing with qualified practitioners. The results have been nothing less than wonderful for me. I sleep very well now, and feel 99% normal.

Sorry if this was "long winded". I wish you a Happy New Year, and full healing.

Feel free to ask anything you want.

Kind regards,

NH

Dear Naturalhealing,

Thanks so much for your time describing the mechanism and effects of the breathing method.

Russian is my native tongue and I started watching old Dr.Buteyko videos where he teaches his own method. Thanks for the warning that it's a bit difficult in the beginning. I'll try stick to it, I have too much at stake.

Thanks again,

I hope you enjoy life to the fullest after this horrible ordeal,

All the best,

Ellen

Hi Naturalhealing thank you for your post I appreciate when people come back so far off to show us that healing is possible. I was also on bromazepam, nasty old drug, was on it for 23 years, top dose 3mg. I'm almost 20 months off and my worst symptom is still migrane tension headaches, tinnitus and fatigue, I can sleep all day long and don't feel restored. I hope to fell ok soon as I have big plans at my age (58) I'm going to study surgical assistant this year, I hope to be able to do it, I'm crazy  :o

Thank you and so happy for you!

Hi Naturalhealing thank you for your post I appreciate when people come back so far off to show us that healing is possible. I was also on bromazepam, nasty old drug, was on it for 23 years, top dose 3mg. I'm almost 20 months off and my worst symptom is still migrane tension headaches, tinnitus and fatigue, I can sleep all day long and don't feel restored. I hope to fell ok soon as I have big plans at my age (58) I'm going to study surgical assistant this year, I hope to be able to do it, I'm crazy  :o

Thank you and so happy for you!

Dear PatriArgentina,

Thank you for your kind message.

I felt compelled to come back and report, as many people's (not everyone's ) symptoms linger on and on and on, and cause various levels of disability and poor quality of life.

Like you, fatigue was the most disabling symptom for me (not that the other ones were any less problematic). Once you have chronic fatigue though your life is a prison. I was pretty useless for 6+ years! Benzos really do cause substantial dysregulation in the HPA axis!

The classical Buteyko method got me feeling substantially better within 7-10 days, and within a month, I took the leap and traveled with plenty of energy to walk, climb hills, hike, stand for long times etc! I was very pleasntly surprised, after 6 years of feeling like I was unable to do any sustained physical activity.

I think the key to my success were the excellent practitioners/teachers that taught me the real deal. I do not know if I'd experience the same results if I had signed up with some "knock-off" version of the method.

So as they say, "the devil is in the details. You got to get the right training, but let me tell you, if you do, and make an honest effort it is highly likely that you will recover!

Best,

NH

Naturalhealing,

Did you go to classes or learn the method online?  What was the cost?

Dear Scrabblegirl,

Yes, I did take classes online. They do group webinars via a well known web platform which is zoom, but their sign up site is different.  It is called learnbuteykoonline. The cost was $275. That was the best $275 I have ever spent. There are also free introductory sessions as well as free monthly follow up sessions.

NH

[e6...]

Naturalhealing,

Did you go to classes or learn the method online?  What was the cost?

Dear Scrabblegirl,

Yes, I did take classes online. They do group webinars via a well known web platform which is zoom, but their sign up site is different.  It is called learnbuteykoonline. The cost was $275. That was the best $275 I have ever spent. There are also free introductory sessions as well as free monthly follow up sessions.

NH

Thanks so much for the info.  I'm so glad that it helped you and you are healed!

Hi Natural Healing. Nice of you to come back with your success story. It shows that protracted healing does happen. It does take that long for some. Those last symptoms can be stubborn, but they do leave I believe. I'll check out the Buteya. Who knows, maybe it will help some of us.

Becky  :smitten:

Hi Natural Healing. Nice of you to come back with your success story. It shows that protracted healing does happen. It does take that long for some. Those last symptoms can be stubborn, but they do leave I believe. I'll check out the Buteya. Who knows, maybe it will help some of us.

Becky  :smitten:

Dear Becky123,

Indeed, healing can take place.

It would have been much better though, if I one could heal within months, or even weeks instead of years. Even within 3-4 months, I was significantly healed, from the majority of my symptoms, but wanted to make sure it was durable before I called it final healing.

The issue of course is that there are all kinds of ineffective healing approaches out there. Additionally, the neuro-endocrine dysregulation that benzos and other medications cause, can be substantial. So it can be quite challenging for most people.

Nevertheless, I am grateful that the method was available, that I was able to find it, and apply the right effort.

As I said in a previous post, the method is not easy. It requires effort, daily practice, and the right expert to teach you. One has to be committed to it. All in all though, it was the solution that healed me and many others with all kinds of medical issues.

Wish you all the best,

NH

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Naturalhealing.

I have a very different perspective on Mercola. He promotes a plethora of unproven medicine and all manner of quackery. He is an anti-vaxxer to boot. So, as a heads-up to other readers, I'm adding a few links. My warning about Mercola is more general in nature. Having said that, a quick Google brings up a Wiki page on the breathing methods you mentioned; I'll add that link at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

https://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Joseph_Mercola

https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/

The Buteyko Method: Medical Evidence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buteyko_method#Medical_evidence

Sorry to post like this to your Success Story, but the automated system to add such warnings did not pick up on your post. And, when we come across posts mentioning Mercola (and the automated system is not triggered), we always post warnings.

Dear Colin,

No worries. I can understand.

In any event, the Classical Buteyko method is the real focus here. I felt that I had to come back and report a healing practice that has the potential to restore people's health. It certainly restored mine, after suffering debilitating benzo wd symptoms for many years.

Best,

NH.