2400+ Days Off - My Insomnia/Benzo Advice

[Th...]

Theway, what a great post! Logical and dedicated and knowledgable. You are SO right. Benzo wd can astound one with its utter horror, but if one uses the principals listed here and other places, it can be dealt with. Thank you.

east

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [Sh...]

• [Ka...]

• [ma...]

ThEwAy2, Bnotafraid, Ptsdmiracle, eastcoast62,

I thank you all for your opinions, support, wise words. They helped me a lot.

One proverb: "What doesn't break you will make you stronger."

I thank you for writing to me and not leaving me alone for my misery  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:.

Margarita

• 2 weeks later...

Theway2,

Do you care to share how old you are?

Does age make a difference in how fast

we heal insomnia or in being able to taper ?

Thanks if you care to share. You don’t have

to.

OMG, I am going to re-read this once a week!  I am having to learn new ways to cope, where my response used to be "I can't stand this, take half an Ativan."  Or, "Why wait til this gets worse, take half an Ativan."  Actually, I am surprised and sort of proud that I have gotten through some bad nights "on my own." 

Theway2,

Do you care to share how old you are?

Does age make a difference in how fast

we heal insomnia or in being able to taper ?

Thanks if you care to share. You don’t have

to.

No worries.  I am 56 and will be 57 in October.  I think your overall health means just as much as your age?  People usually say when you are older things take longer to heal and that may be true for a cold or broken bone.  Not so sure about Benzo WD?

I didn't taper, so I don't know how that might affect an older person.  I think most of this WD battle is psychological.  Acceptance and gratitude and my attitude helped me more than anything else. There are no magic potions or pills to take or shortcuts for getting through WD.  Unfortunately the only way out is through the process and let time do it's thing.

OMG, I am going to re-read this once a week!  I am having to learn new ways to cope, where my response used to be "I can't stand this, take half an Ativan."  Or, "Why wait til this gets worse, take half an Ativan."  Actually, I am surprised and sort of proud that I have gotten through some bad nights "on my own."

Yes!  You have reason to be proud - it takes strength and determination! 

ThEwAy2's list is great isn't it?

every time I start to get in my head about the lack of sleep I am getting I come read this. I can’t thank you enough for detailing so much about the entire experience. I am scared about my impending future jump especially because 0 sleep was a symptom of my previous CT & failed Xanax taper. l periodically read your powerful insomnia advice. And I will probably read it daily after I jump. thank you so much for empowering me. 🦋♥️

@[ l...]

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

That's why I come back and try to help.  If what I post makes a difference for only one person, then it is so worth the time and effort.  :thumbsup:

ThEwAy2,

Thank you SOOOOO VERY MUCH FOR THIS.  It is TIMELY and I'm thanking GOD for you and your willingness to come in here and help us.  As I said, it's SO TIMELY for me right now and I SO very much needed it. 

My sleep did come back as you say and it was great for about a month, then I increased my taper and sleep is gone again.  However, I have been staying in bed, cept to go to bathroom, and in the dark and I listen to things on cell phone that calm me and I meditate to get me through the night.  I think about songs that calm me ...I remember the lyrics and I think on positive experiences and it gets me through.  I had Zero sleep last night but as you said, we do fall asleep here and there even if it's a tiny bit. 

Meds, yea, they wear off or out.  They don't continue to work.  So we should not depend on them.  I've been going to sleep without them and just trying to get through the night. 

But I totally agree with staying in bed and not depending on meds and most importantly, keeping my mind on the positive things really helps.

Thank you so much for this post...........so needed, especially now for me.

Keep up the great work...and BLESS you for helping us all in here.

Gratefully,

KIMMIE

Thanks Kimmie, I was hoping it would help a few people.  I know I needed to have and read about hope during the worst parts/times of my WD.

You are doing great....and one day this will all be a distant memory.

[3e...]

ThEwAy2, bless you so much for posting this!!  Not sleeping has been one of my deepest concerns as I taper my benzo and you've confirmed what I am coming around to ... let it go.  The body will sleep when it gets tired enough!

All the best you for helping others here.  :smitten:

I read your posts and story

and replies. It helps keep me

going and gives me motivation

to push and not give up.

Please stay here with us !

Thank you. HM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi HM and Kate08

Thanks for the kind words.  That's the plan...to stick around for some time yet.  Or at least until someone else that has healed chimes in here and there.  I know Aloha, Siggy and MTFan post on here some and they all healed.  We need more people that have healed to give hope to those still struggling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Don’t want to hijack your post. Lately been sleeping good

only every other night. Last night was my good

night. This is how it was before I started benzos.

And I was unsatisfied so benzos were ordered.

I still take seroquel tho and it is a crutch now.

But I’m not ready to quit it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
No problem.  Just wish this would stay at the top of the insomnia board as it literally can answer 99% of people's questions relating to Benzo induced insomnia and how to deal with Benzo WD in general!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello @ThEwAy2... i have read your post and i am so encouraged by it. I have been on insomnia for 5 years. I started to consume benzo on year 4 and now i start stopping it after tapering. I start learning sometimes i can fall asleep even without benzo and i realize soooo much that my mind and heart is not accepting. THe insomnia happen on and off i actually realize that i am okay with not sleeping but i am not okay with how my body feel the next day without sleep. When i didnt sleep i have racing heart and sweating alot also dizziness and headache and my eyes are heavy. I cant do sport or workout and lose many social event because of it. An these effect of not sleeping is what make me seems to not able to accept insomnia. Do you experience racing heart and headache dizziness here and there after not sleeping also the extreme fatigue? i dont know why if i have not been sleeping for 3-4 days i become waaaaayyy so anxious like crazy and i become terrified at night my mind start going and reminding me how bad i will be tommorow if i dont sleep at all again. Maybe i dont fear dying but i want to be in best condition tommorow and i dont want sleep to keep me from it. I also being adviced by sleep therapist to not try taking a nap because it can increase the anxiety and he said to sleep only at night and when i am sleepy. Weirdly at night i am yawning a lot but not sleepy instead my mind is anxious and so tense and wondering what will happen tommorow if i dont sleep again and again and again. What do you think ? your advice is so much appreciated because unlike the therapist you have been in the same hell like me and get out of it. thank you

Brightsoul,

Insomnia, health anxiety and feeling crappy make up the tunnel that many of us have to pass through in order to recover from benzos and z-drugs. Unfortunately, no words or special techniques can do much to lessen these symptoms during the earlier days and nights of withdrawal, but in time what is tormenting you will weaken as your ability to accept strengthens. Withdrawal is a real injury with real symptoms. Like a broken leg, it will impact your ability to live your life the way you would like to, but also like a broken leg, you will eventually heal. Any belief that this will not happen is simply another symptom of the injury.

@alohafromhawaii thank you for your reply. i read your messages also your signature. were you starting to take ambien because of insomnia? I started benzo because of chronic insomnia for 4 years then after that i went to a shrink and given benzo for 1 year and a half weirdly my dose is not increasing but getting low and low until now its 0,3mg. i start reading that benzo actually make insomnia worst. Then i realize i have to taper and get off from this drug. But lately my mind start remembering "Dude without the benzo you will go back to insomnia once again that you have experience for 4 years". And this thought terrifies me. Then i start counceling with sleep therapist that based on acceptance also i am contacting someone religious who has been healed from insomnia. I start learning to give up and accept insomnia and all the anxiety that is tormenting me day by day. A few weeks ago i suddenly able to sleep well even if i got 5 hours i am so happy. because most of the time its 0. But it was short lived.... i start realizing i am starting to get anxious again and my mind reminding me all the bad experience i got with insomnia and well here you go insomnia strike again. Yesterday i was so tired my heart beating so fast even until 3 or 4 am i close my eyes and my mind is so tense like super tense and i realize this is anxiety. what i mean by tense is that the mind cant rest and there is anxiety and monkey mind jumping everywhere without resting like machine without any pedal. Im encouraged by your message and i realize you have been through the same path i took. I think i am trying to force acceptance without trully accepting in the heart. Can give me advice ?