How do you cope with skips blips of the heart?

[Jo...]

Couple days now.  Off and on palpitations.  Vagus nerve irritable? Anyone else? How do you cope? Feels like every 3rd or 4th beat.

My heart skipped beats/galloped off and on during my taper. I checked now and then with my cardiologist and, no, it wasn't a problem that needed attention. What she and I figured was that it was *just* withdrawal. when my s/x were bad, my heart palpitations were bad. This all resolved itself after my taper was over. I never have that s/x now. (I have other cardiac problems, but not that one).

Joy, if you're concerned, maybe talk to your doc, as heart issues are not to be fooled around with. It may be *just withdrawal*, but it may not be also.

Hope you get some relief from the blips.

:smitten:

Katz

[45...]

While they feel unnerving, everything I've read claims the palps aren't such a bad thing for a person with a normal healthy heart.  They will resolve in time (mine did completely).

During my withdrawal, I noticed a trend between me having anxious, repetitive (looping) thoughts and palps.  The palps (resulting from the bad thoughts) would then catch my attention which would increase my anxiety which would only make things worse.  So I kind of learned when I first noticed the palps to place my attention on something else (a tree, a passing car, a cloud...).  That stopped the spiral and often settled my heart down a bit.

My heart skipped beats/galloped off and on during my taper. I checked now and then with my cardiologist and, no, it wasn't a problem that needed attention. What she and I figured was that it was *just* withdrawal. when my s/x were bad, my heart palpitations were bad. This all resolved itself after my taper was over. I never have that s/x now. (I have other cardiac problems, but not that one).

Joy, if you're concerned, maybe talk to your doc, as heart issues are not to be fooled around with. It may be *just withdrawal*, but it may not be also.

Hope you get some relief from the blips.

:smitten:

Katz

Thank you so much. I will think about seeing the cardiologist again. The last time I saw him, he said everything was benign. Sometimes the idea of going to the doctor is just so stressful I could cry. My last ekg  wasn't perfect, but was in normal sinus rhythm. He seemed sure that the pvc's are triggered by stress. So it does make sense that during this taper there will be ups and downs. I wish healing was linear! Thank you again.

While they feel unnerving, everything I've read claims the palps aren't such a bad thing for a person with a normal healthy heart.  They will resolve in time (mine did completely).

During my withdrawal, I noticed a trend between me having anxious, repetitive (looping) thoughts and palps.  The palps (resulting from the bad thoughts) would then catch my attention which would increase my anxiety which would only make things worse.  So I kind of learned when I first noticed the palps to place my attention on something else (a tree, a passing car, a cloud...).  That stopped the spiral and often settled my heart down a bit.

Thank you! I never really put that spiral together until I read your post. What we focus on really does grow. I have had skipped beats here and there since my 20s. And my last ekg, although had pvc's, was in normal sinus rhythm. The cardiologist said I have the typical changes you would see in a 60+ year old. And he said the pvcs were not something he was concerned about. Maybe because our cns is repairing, the vagus nerve gets involved? I am so glad it all resolved for you. I am currently taking 3 5 mg valium. That is the equivalent of .25 Xanax and I began this whole thing at 3 mg of Xanax. So I am really at the last 10 percent before I am going to jump at .25 Valium........about 6 more cuts. Thank you for writing. I do think the stressors of the holidays play a part in symptom increases. I am going to take your advice and try to switch focus when palps hit.....instead of focusing on " oh, there is another one" and being hypervigilant.