Substituting valium for Ativan question

[Ni...]

Hi everyone, I have this taper protocol calculator by the Dutch national pharmacists association which says to taper for 3 times 1 mg Ativan a day you gotta start in week 1 with 2 mg valium 7.5 pills a day. While a friend of mine says that 1 mg of Ativan equals 8 mg of valium which means the taper protocol is too low and should be 3 mg x 7.5 atleast. Could anyone clarify for me please?

The taper protocol is for 12 weeks. I take 1mg of Ativan 3 times a day.

In short, I want to completely taper off my Ativan which I take 1 mg 3 times a day, using valium. How should I do this?

Thank you!

Hi Nikitis,

Can you tell us how long you've been on the Ativan?  12 weeks sounds like a very fast taper if you've been on the Ativan for any length of time.  Have you heard of the Ashton method, here's a taper plan that perfectly fits your dose.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s8

Pamster

I've been on lorazepam for 2 months now. The doc wants me to stop 1 lorazepam and go to 2 lorazepam 1 mg a day. I'm feeling really bad, should I do this?

I went back to 3 times 1 mg a day, because I was having withdrawal symptoms from going to 2.

The doc doesn't want to put me on diazepam probably which is very annoying.

We usually suggest a faster taper when a member hasn't been on the drug for very long, so your original taper plan looked appropriate.  I would suggest finding a dose which helps you feel okay, but not great and stick to that for a few days, it's important to start your taper from a position of stability.  You might need to accept that you're not going to feel good as you do this, tapering is typically an unpleasant process, especially for those of us who will suffer from withdrawal symptoms. 

So, I guess you're looking at a direct taper from the Ativan since our Dr won't support crossing to Valium?

Doc will support switching to Valium at either 1mg or 1.5mg of Ativan, I now lowered to 2.5mg of Ativan daily. Will continue this for 2 weeks then lower dose again to 2mg. He only wants to go with a dose of 2 to 3 mg of valium at that time.

Doc basically wants to lower Ativan with 0.5mg every 2 weeks. He has his own theory that using Valium will cause too much sedation and cause addiction, especially at what he says are high dosages of 10mg. He didn't support the taper schedule of benzo.org.uk that you posted, stating that the suggested Valium dose is too high.

Do I have to be fearful of permanent nerve damage while doing this?

I'm going through withdrawal symptoms as we speak. Feeling lightheaded and a high pulse rate.

I'm sorry to hear your Dr isn't supportive of the schedule, is he planning to taper in the Valium when you get to the desired dose of Ativan or switch you directly?  Sedation can be an issue at first, but I'm told your body acclimates to it.

I'm not sure what he's talking about Valium being more addictive than Ativan, they're the same class of drugs, they're all addictive and just because you'd be taking more milligrams of Valium doesn't mean anything, Ativan is stronger than Valium, so the equivalencies are what is the issue.  Oh well, can't fight city hall I guess.  :(

I need you to understand something, your nerves are fine, they're not what is struggling right now, it's your brain.  Your nerves are simply doing what your brain is telling them to do, same with your muscles, your ears, your fear and every other symptom you may be experiencing.  Your brain has to regain it's proper function, the function the drug changed, and when that happens, all of this will go away.

Please take a look at this post by one of our members, it will explain a lot about whats happening to you.  What is happening in your brain

He's planning on switching to Valium when the desired dose of Ativan is reached. I have a high heart rate due to the Ativan withdrawal, will this go away? Thanks for that post I'll check it out.

Will all of my symptoms go away?

This is from the Ashton manual about your heart rate, try not to let it worry you, it's all a normal process of benzo withdrawal.

Heart and lungs. Palpitations, pounding heart, rapid pulse, flushing, sweating, and breathlessness are usual accompaniments of panic attacks, but may occur without panics. They do not signify heart or lung disease but are simply the expression of an overactive autonomic nervous system. Slow deep breathing and relaxation, as described under panic attacks, can do much to control these symptoms. Do not worry about them: they would be accepted as normal if you were running for a bus, and will do no more harm than if you really were!

Please look at this taper plan from the Ashton manual as well, it's not your exact dose but it shows the gradual introduction of Valium while taking away the Ativan, this should help with the sedation issues your Dr is concerned about.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s8

I'm sorry to say your symptoms will not go away until you're completely off of the drug and your brain has healed from it.  :(

Thank you for the reply, indeed the heart and lung issues is what I'm having. I showed that schedule to the doc but he said the valium dose is too high..

Can valium be taken at a lower dosage, say 2 to 3 mg for the substitution of 1 mg of Ativan?

We're really getting out of my comfort zone with this subject, I didn't taper, and have never taken Valium, so if you'll ask the folks on the  Valium Support Group thread, I'm sure you'll get some responses.  It's a regular thread, so just hit reply and jump in with your questions, they're all very nice and helpful.

Or someone may respond on this one.  :)