Laryngal Reflux (or GERD or any reflux) and benzos

[Ba...]

I have had an extreme bad cough for 6 years... used to be occasional, no it is hacking and very disruptive.  Went to ENT dr. who said there are cysts and infammation and thinks laryngal "silent' reflux.

Got  dietary sheet, supposed toS upend bed 6 to 8 inches, nno idea how, and also was given script for proton pump inhibitor.  Well I'm reading NOT to take with benzos??  Anyone know?

Suggestions, please?

I also have reflux, and a Hiatal Hernia to boot.

To upend your bed, you want the head of the bed higher than the foot of the bed. My husband put stacked and attached together, wooden blocks to add up to 6 or 8 inches and put one under each of the two feet at the head of your bed. If you have anything larger than a twin, you should add some support under some of the underside as well so it doesn’t end up sagging or disrupting the bed frame structure.

I take a proton pump inhibitor as well, I take it at dinner time, and my benzo at night about an hour before I went to sleep. I stated a micro taper last night so the timing will be all different now. My pill is being dissolved in water an divided into four baby food jars for the four doses in 24 hours that I’m looking for. My current problem, that I posted today, is that the pill is very bitter. Dissolved and it splashes all over my tongue and throat. My diaphragm is a little inflamed as a result. Not good with GERD or the HH.

Ask your pharmacist if your particular proton pump inhibitor and your type of benzo are compatible.

Also, on that food list, you may find food on it that you cannot tolerate, everyone is different. I can do bread and bananas, where some people can’t. Coffee and alcohol will probably cause lots of problems. I hated giving up my coffee, but feel better as a result. Amazon has some good books on GERD and Acid Reflux. 

Hope this helps. Happy New Year.

Well my bed is on casters, so that won't work.  It is full size.

I don't drink coffee and a lot of other stuff.  And I am not aware of any food causing an issue, altho pineapple juice, being really acidic, that wasn't great.

I read proton pump stuff and valium is not good.

I don't know, this is complex.... and I always eat late and no way is there going to be 3 hrs don't eat before bed, let alone no water.  I have water that I sip all the time.

hmmm

Barbara, here is an article on PPIs and valium.

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/omeprazole-with-valium-1750-0-862-441.html

Here's another interesting article:

https://www.fishertitus.org/health/natural-gerd-remedies

And here's an idea. Something that might help. btw I have ferocious GERD. I decided NOT to take a PPI. I use this and it is extremely helpful. You can order it from Amazon. Just copy what's below and put it in amazon's search bar:

ALO Exposed Aloe Vera Juice Drink, Aloe Vera + Honey, 16.9 Ounce

It completely fixed that awful acid travelling up into my throat. I can't recommend it highly enough.

You also might PM buddie Dana -- she has quite a few good ideas to fix GERD without PPIs. I think licorice root and slippery elm are among the things she recommends.

Having been burned by pysch drugs and benzos, I vowed to NEVER just "swallow" (pun intended) what a doc proposes without checking it out first. Heck, isn't that how we got into so much trouble with benzos and z-drugs?

Anyhow, hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks.

Well not convinced she is right after all this is 'silent' gerd  not like i feel much acid.  just cough so hard i throw up or pee or pull a muscle.  And if she saw 3 cysts, why not do something bout that?  hmmmmm.  She used some scope to make a video... it was revolting.  it was not the ltitle camera theyput down your nose, that was much easier.

prob is no energy or ability to go to drs so going there was ordeal, let alone another opinion.

i have some 8 year old pepcid may try see what it does... then i'd have to buy more if it works.  did read not to take xyrtec with valium...

Cannot believe how difficult our medical system is to 'work,'  it is not designed for sick people.

Acid Watchers Diet is good to follow. Drinking alkaline water helps to clear the Pepsin. Don't eat close to bedtime, early dinner is best. ❤