What counts as "cold turkey", really (Klonopin)

[Li...]

I've used benzos several times a week on and off PRN for a decade. No issues ever stopping for days, weeks, months. The past two months have seen near daily Klonopin use (up to 2mg but lately down to .5) due to severe life stressors. Not sure if I will experience withdrawal but it's certainly a possibility.

If I take .25 for a few days if I feel okay and jump is that necessarily CT? Is it likely I'll go from feeling relatively okay to horrific withdrawals? Also does my PRN use even with no dependency coupled with this recent daily use render me a "long term" user?

(For instance, I had been taking Klonopin PRN since last July with breaks in between, most recently a 2-3 week break in October during which I felt no symptoms)

This is a good question. Your history of taking benzos has been sort of up and down over the years. Because you did take benzos for way too long, you may experience withdrawal symptoms.  But please do not let this frighten you.

You can get off benzos, and you will get off benzos, just do it as safely as possible. If I were in your shoes, I would figure out a fairly rapid taper off. Nothing way too long, but long enough to perhaps avoid withdrawal symptoms. See - everyone reacts differently, and what worked for me might not work for you. I was forced to go cold turkey, and that was just awful. But nor am I angry about that now. I am grateful as I had no idea how hard benzos had a hold of me.

Figure out a gradual taper and then stick to it.

And would you let me know how its going for you? Feel free to PM me, as I always respond to PMs.

east (Annie)

This is a good question. Your history of taking benzos has been sort of up and down over the years. Because you did take benzos for way too long, you may experience withdrawal symptoms.  But please do not let this frighten you.

You can get off benzos, and you will get off benzos, just do it as safely as possible. If I were in your shoes, I would figure out a fairly rapid taper off. Nothing way too long, but long enough to perhaps avoid withdrawal symptoms. See - everyone reacts differently, and what worked for me might not work for you. I was forced to go cold turkey, and that was just awful. But nor am I angry about that now. I am grateful as I had no idea how hard benzos had a hold of me.

Figure out a gradual taper and then stick to it.

And would you let me know how its going for you? Feel free to PM me, as I always respond to PMs.

east (Annie)

Sorry I’m slow getting back. Yeah, my case is weird. I always had a ‘good’ relationship with benzos as starting and stopping was never a problem for me so I figured I was in the sweet spot of not taking enough to be dependent (because I never experienced withdrawals) but now with the two-ish months of daily use I wonder if I’ve done myself in. Especially since Klonopin has such a long half life. It’s like, we’re my breaks even really breaks? I’ll certainly keep you updated. Thanks for caring!  :smitten:

Have you decided what to do? My heart goes out to you. I know you are worried.

But I am glad you found BB.

east

Please feel free to PM me if you think it might help.