Anyone suffer through withdrawal, after only taking benzos a few weeks/months

[Wi...]

I took larazapam for 2 weeks for a surgical procedure and then stopped. A few days later, I had a panic attack for no reason. So that night, I took more pills. I was fine for a day or two. Then got another attack. I went back and forth like this for 3-4 weeks, trying to figure out why I was feeling so anxious before my counselor said "I think you're hooked on these pills." I never even knew they were addictive! So I read up and did a tapered withdrawal over the next 2 weeks. All in all, I was only taking them for 41 days. Now, 11 days after my last pill and I feel horrible.

I know weening off these monsters after years can be very difficult.

But has anyone on here had bad withdrawal symptoms after weeks or months?

[08...]
Short use problems reportedly occur, but less often.  Some people seem more sensitive to the undesirable effects of these drugs than others.

I took 85 pills (lorazepam) total from start to taper. Last pill June 2015.  I am still suffering.  Right now I am in an 8 month setback which feels worse than withdrawal.  The non-stop mental gut-wrenching torture, terror and fear is killing me along with the intrusive crying jags and is the absolute worse!!!  No appetite, lost 20 pounds, hyper sensitive to smells, heavy, weak arms and legs, loss of hair and internal tremors.  Never had any of these symptoms in my whole life until I was prescribed the med for sleep. Just after taking 4 or 5 pills in one month, I felt internal tremors but I thought it was hormonal!!  Wish I would have researched online then but I didn't until two months later.  I am a young 65 year old.  I push myself to walk everyday, eat pure and organic, no sugar, no caffeine and only drink lemon water.  Nothing helps!!!!!  This is horrible and I can't believe this has happened...STILL!!!  It has totally ripped me off from life especially considering I have had a setback every single year since tapered off!!!

You will be okay.  Try and eat as pure as possible and stay away from sugar and caffeine. And get outside to get sunshine on your skin for vitamin D.  Stay away from supplements.  The best to you!!!  We do not deserve this hell!!!!

4 weeks of clonazepam and 3 weeks of zoloft. C"td in August of 2019. Going on 5 months off and still suffering through withdrawal.

one week of zoloft and 5 weeks of ativan. C"td in January of 2018. suffering through withdrawal untill 12 months off. 24 months off and 90% healed now.

I knew someone from this board who took Ativan for TWO WEEKS and managed to get hooked. Ativan is especially evil! Luckily he is now healed and off this board.

I knew someone from this board who took Ativan for TWO WEEKS and managed to get hooked. Ativan is especially evil! Luckily he is now healed and off this board.

Who?

Sounds like me except I'm not healed

[5f...]

Well stay at it don't give up people heal.  We will heal.  Stop reading stuff that scares you.  Do all you can every day.  This is not easy for any of Us.  We all have life's waiting for Us.  Don't get caught up in FEAR!  Our journey is scary for each of Us.  No one knows anybody completely.  Support each other!  Try to stay positive.  It's what we need from each other right now.

B

The horror stories are encouraging/discouraging.  Other people suffering the same as I do, I feel a bit better that I'm not the only one and the benzo that got me here.  But scary is still suffering 4 years later after only taking them for a month, give or take.  I took Loraz. for almost 10 weeks, a total of about 36 mg.  I won't sugar coat it, Have I improved? Yes.  But what does that mean?  For example, I don't have the extreme adrenalin/terror/pain/panic/anxiety/nightmare for hours at a time like I used to.  On the other hand, I have these chronic anxiety phases that last for weeks and weeks, and the intrusive thoughts that cause me quasi-panic and constant anxiety??  What the hell is that about???  Sometimes I forget this is all because of the Loraz.  I get stuck in a rut thinking this is me, and I'm damaged.  Well, it kinda is me now, post benzo, I am damaged and I hope and pray it's temporary.  16 months since my last pill, still suffering.  In perspective, I'm much better than I was, but I still have days I want to die.  I ask God to take me away almost on a daily basis.  That means I'm not as close to "better" as I would like to be, especially this far down the road.  How many times do I catch myself saying "it's not real, it's just my brain trying to heal".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I took oxazepam for 6 weeks and i am still going to withdrawal. My CT is 10 months ago and I am doing better, but I am not there yet.

I still have head symptoms (pressure, fuzzy head) I can't stand too many stimuli ... I get overstimuled quickly. My sleep is getting better. I am often a bit restless in the morning and my calves hurt in the morning. Sometimes i have still a little anxiety...

My biggest fear is that it is not getting better and I can no longer fully enjoy my children ... But I try to stay positive. Although that is sometimes very difficult because it takes so long after so short use.

I hope someone recognizes this and that we can support each other.

Thanks x

I think those of us that get really bad hormone problems from this get hit very hard.

Have you had thyroid tested properly including free T3 etc?

My wife took 10mg of Valium, adivan daily for 3.5 months tapered of for 10days as advised. Now month 2 off them and having bad withdrawals hopefully this does not last too long 😢

I was short term. 3 months on Klonopin. I now suffer every day with dr/dp, visual perceptions that drive me nuts, and an overall feeling of be unwell. My symptoms are now just as long as I took the rotten poison. I wish my Dr. knew what he was doing and told me about this drug.

I consider myself the extreme case of benzos withdrawal.

I got addicted in just 3 days. Took only for 07 days after that and I've suffered a lot and still suffering from last one year.

Raising my hand here!

See my signature for more details. I thought I would be ok because I have not been on those drugs long... how wrong I was!

I hope my post withdrawal won't be too long but I have this nasty feeling I could be in for a long marathon in hell... well we will see. At least I have access to BenzoBuddies and this great community.

@amanda67, your story is encouraging. I hope I heal at some point too.

SG

Look at my sig, I’m a pretty harsh case after only two weeks Ativan. I read so many people saying Ativan is the worst (lucky me). Also similar to kiwi, I was malnourished and dehydrated, it undoubtedly Made us more vulnerable to Benzo.

Are you quite certain it’s withdrawal. I noticed you mentioned you  had insomnia and anxiety due to tinnitus even before the benzos. Insomnia is such a vicious cycle as is anxiety and they can really play off and feed each other. I’ve spoken to so many people with insomnia not due to benzos and their insomnia sometimes was simply triggered by a stressful event, a medical issue, ect but has stuck years later. Have you tried cbt-i yet? A lot of your symptoms also coincide with anxiety as well. I often wonder for myself if mine is even withdrawal. Just something to think about if you notice things aren’t getting better. To become dependant within a few days would be rare, but the chances of it being simply insomnia / anxiety triggered by the tinnitus would be greater. Hope I don’t offend you by suggesting it could be something else. I try to keep an open mind about my own insomnia as I’m not 100% certain it’s still the benzo or ever was. When I look through these threads I also see so many people who struggle long term with insomnia began taking the benzo FOR insomnia. It makes me wonder what’s at play still. Insomnia seems to be the last symptoms to go or remains for years on end and I wonder if it’s cause it’s easy to get stuck in that hyper vigilant state or conditioned wakeful state when you’ve suffered a while with sleepless nights. Hope you feel better soon. No matter the cause, it’s a brutal way to live and the suffering and pain is just as real. You are in m

I consider myself the extreme case of benzos withdrawal.

I got addicted in just 3 days. Took only for 07 days after that and I've suffered a lot and still suffering from last one year.

y prayers

I was on Ativan for less than a week, plus approx. 2 months for the taper, and nearly 20 months after jumping, am still having withdrawal symptoms. I clearly remember the ER clinician saying, "This may not be what your psychiatrist would prescribe, but it will just take the edge off."