5 years off Ambien and Valium!

[Al...]

Today marks my 5 year anniversary c/t off 10 mg of Ambien and 5 mg of Valium (never c/t). I was a long time user of Ambien and Valium which I only used as a sleep aid. I did not have any anxiety or psych issues prior to taking either drug. I wanted to pop in to offer hope and encouragement to those members who are struggling.

What's life like at 5 years post benzos? I work full time, I run around all day, travel, go out for dinner, I sleep a solid 8 hours per night, I lead a normal life and I am very busy taking care of my 16 year old dog (yes 16!). To be very honest I barely ever think about benzo's.

My advice is to exercise or go for a daily walk if you can, eat healthy (lots of brain food), and try to distract. Acceptance is prudent to healing. At five years off all of the withdrawal symptoms that I once had seem like a very distant memory. Never doubt that your brain does not know how to revert back to the way you were before you ever took a benzo.

Happy New Year. I hope that 2020 will be your year!

Always Frantastic

Great to hear you are doing well and enjoying life.  So glad you have your dog  and other activities that keep you fulfilled. 

In your original success story, you mentioned a yogurt you ate that you felt helped you.

Did you eat it during tapering?

May I ask what brand?

Thanks!

THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to come back and write about your life now. It is greatly appreciated.  Have a happy and healthy new year!

GUtsy

Great to hear you are doing well and enjoying life.  So glad you have your dog  and other activities that keep you fulfilled. 

In your original success story, you mentioned a yogurt you ate that you felt helped you.

Did you eat it during tapering?

May I ask what brand?

Thanks!

The yogurt I ate was Trader Joe's yogurt with the strain L Rhamnosus. I think that strain is in Stoneyfield yogurt. Google L Rhamnosus Gaba A up regulation in mice.

Did you deal with anger and intrusive thoughts?

I didn't deal with anger however I did have intrusive thoughts. I tried not to focus on every symptom because I knew it was all part of healing.

So great to hear you are doing so well!

Thank you so much for coming back and giving hope!

Did you have food sensitivity and/or muscle contraction/spasm? If so when did it go away?

Thanks!

4mom

Congratulations. I am just about 4 years out and doing well. Any experience w/ having a social alcoholic drink? I have been too afraid but I would like to be normal and have one social drink.

Thank you for visiting to share your great news! It is always a boost to hear of friends doing well. Enjoy your hard earned recovery!

Again, thank you,

Carita  :smitten:

AlwaysFantastic,

Thank You so much for sharing your success story. Success stories such yours give me hope and keep my faith that healing and getting my normal life back will also happen when the right time comes.

Am very happy for your healing and now leading a normal life.

May you continue to receive peace, joy, love and wellness in your new life.

Blessings!

Pi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Today marks my 5 year anniversary c/t off 10 mg of Ambien and 5 mg of Valium (never c/t). I was a long time user of Ambien and Valium which I only used as a sleep aid. I did not have any anxiety or psych issues prior to taking either drug. I wanted to pop in to offer hope and encouragement to those members who are struggling.

What's life like at 5 years post benzos? I work full time, I run around all day, travel, go out for dinner, I sleep a solid 8 hours per night, I lead a normal life and I am very busy taking care of my 16 year old dog (yes 16!). To be very honest I barely ever think about benzo's.

My advice is to exercise or go for a daily walk if you can, eat healthy (lots of brain food), and try to distract. Acceptance is prudent to healing. At five years off all of the withdrawal symptoms that I once had seem like a very distant memory. Never doubt that your brain does not know how to revert back to the way you were before you ever took a benzo.

Happy New Year. I hope that 2020 will be your year!

Always Frantastic

Thank you for this post. Sending love and gratitude to you and your dog.