Panic attack what works for you? No triggers please

[bd...]

Hi B,

I don't have a lot of experience with panic attacks, I've known anxiety, but I'm sure others will stop by with suggestions for you.  In the mean time though, I'll give you this link to a post made by a member awhile ago, it's got some great tips in it. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13001.0

I think I know the source of your panic, I looked at your progress log, would you like to talk about it here?  Perhaps other members will be able to help you work through your feelings so you can get some peace.

Pamster

Anxiety now Panic attacks last 2 nights.  Anything anyone?

Breathi g techniques. Distractions; taking a cold shower, exercise, going for a walk, push ups. Counting backwards from 100 to 0. There are many, the aim is to keep ground, in the moment. It's hard but that's all you can do until your brain settles down. I have anxiety everyday for years now.

[bd...]
Thanks I m fighting it.  My daughter broke up with boyfriend and is having a hard time.  I can't even talk to her without fumbling for words because she is distraught.  I have told her what is happening and even though she knows she continues to call when I  m sleeping and then she says I m making this about me and I m not trying to.  I can't calm down ater talking to her.  Then she calls again and starts again.  I know she needs me but this is not going to work.  I m going to end up at the hospital every morning.  That's not an option. . So I just wondered how people may handle a situation like this.

It sounds like your daughter can't see past her pain at the moment, hopefully she'll work through this soon and things will quiet down for her and you.  I'm sure she's used to a mom who has always been strong, capable and understanding so hearing you like this is probably really confusing for her.  I'm sure she can't grasp the hell you're in, no one can, but B, maybe this can be a good thing.  We can't know this for sure but maybe this will help her build on her own strength instead of relying on yours.  We don't want to see our kids in pain, but without it, there is no growth, so as much as we want to protect them, they have to go through it too.

I hope she calms down soon, I know you don't want to set boundaries with her, but your health has to come first.

[bd...]
I don't have to tell you how many times I have walked this road with my kids.  I have always been the one to pick them up and kiss there boo-boos.  This time she is leaning on her Dad my x husband and he is handling it.  It's just different right now for her.  He will get her through.  I just feel so bad.  It's my issue.  I have to get myself to be okay with her leaning on her Dad.  She lives with him but I have always been in the wings.  She is 24.  She is learning tough lessons right now.

You sound good, I like what I'm hearing from you.  Your daughter has her Dad, she's not totally alone.  You trust your ex to get her through this even though you've always been the one to fix things, and I hear you recognizing this.

Take care of you for now, they'll get their Mom back one of these days. 

[bd...]
Her Dad doesn't know much about me right now and is confused.  I m not willing to explain.  That is what the problem is.  She has to lean on the village right now. 

I unfortunately get constant panic attacks when withdrawling. Doctor prescribed 50mg of Trazodone to help calm the depression and anxiety. Ive stabalized on 1mg(xanax) for the most part and the panic attacks have calmed down. I'm not advocating for more psych drugs, but if helps get through the withdrawl phase it might just have to be the next thing I slowly taper off of. Not sure what impact SNRI AD have however long term recovery.

[20...]

For a true panic attack (which are usually very short), I'd (quickly) put something boring on the TV (often the golf or weather channel, but HSN or a cooking show would also work).  That would ground me.  When the panic subsided (usually within a minute or two), I'd slowly start to do normal, boring, regular stuff.

Anxiety attacks tend to last longer and took more active 'doing'.  I had to get busy doing mundane stuff to occupy my mind.  Cleaning, yard work, cleaning out the car, cleaning out the garage.

[bd...]
I have had only 6 counting this one and it's rough.  I m doing my regular mundane stuff.  I have tinnitus, heart palps, sweating, face and arm is numb, stomach is bad again, pins and needles, headache, pain in legs, confused, hallucinating .  But I m only 4.5 months and I m giving myself a minute to stop this one.  Have to go get groceries here shortly.  But I will because I do what I have to do every day.

I just completed a year long DBT course and was taught to remember TIPP.  It works for any intense emotion.

T= Tempurature - Change your body temp using cold water or ice.  I have an frozen eye mask in my fridge I use or sometimes I just throw a bag of peas on my wrists and that works too.  Cold showers work, but in my opinion are not that comfortable.

I= Intense Exercise - get your heart rate up.  Think a few minutes of jumping jacks or jogging in place.

P-Paced Breathing - anything to regulate your breath would work here.  I usually use an app on my phone called breathing app.  It has you breath in for 5 and out for 7.  I like to follow along to the app or I have trouble doing it myself

P- Paired muscle relaxation - this is tightening and relaxing your muscles starting with your toes and moving slowly through your body up to your head. This is the hardest one for me to do especially during a panic attack so I mainly do the first 3 and think they work well. 

Hopefully you'll find something here that works for you. Take Care!

Pearl

[bd...]

The anxiety of a window.  I handled today we'll and now the sun is fading in the sky and night will fall.  I m not sure how to not let myself get slammed in the wave.  I have to find a beside my bed snack for when I wake up.  I have denture's and can't wake up the house.  Any suggestions, I have burning gums also.  This is so unnerving.  I can grab a banana and peanut butter.  That might help. 

[bd...]

I used to play but now I m at a high level and can't get past it.  I play wwf by myself cause I m not very good anymore.  Thanks as soon as I can I will play again.

B

I used to play but now I m at a high level and can't get past it.  I play wwf by myself cause I m not very good anymore.  Thanks as soon as I can I will play again.

B

Then start with candy crash soda. What level? There are YouTube tutorials to get past the tough levels of candy crash  ;)

[bd...]
I will thank you so much.  Today the panic is subsided and anxiety is here but I still did all I needed to do yesterday.  Today is a brand new day and I will do all I can again.  Happy New year and may it bring us Healing!

Bnotafraid congratulations for doing all that in spite of the terror. This video is for loved ones of people going through bwd. Maybe your daughter would be willing to watch it.

[bd...]

Thanks she is aware and doing her best.  I have to do mine too.  It's life and she is a great daughter.  We live far away from each other and that's hard for us both.  I got this for today.  Happy New year 🎉

B

Thanks she is aware and doing her best.  I have to do mine too.  It's life and she is a great daughter.  We live far away from each other and that's hard for us both.  I got this for today.  Happy New year 🎉

B

👍😊🍀

• 2 weeks later...