Hydroxyzine

[Wi...]

Is this addicting, does it cause blood pressure to get high??????? Low dose 20mg,  I started it  but not sure I dont want to have to try and get off another drug.  Thank you  :-\

Hydroxyzine is a sedating antihistamine. It does not cause addiction. I have never heard of it affecting blood pressure but you could Google that.

I took it for a short while on my taper for sleep. It is also prescribed for anxiety. It helped a bit with sleep,  but then I developed a tolerance to it and stopped. I think I took it at 25 mgs.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Is this addicting, does it cause blood pressure to get high??????? Low dose 20mg,  I started it  but not sure I dont want to have to try and get off another drug.  Thank you  :-\

It’s not addictive if taken as prescribed and shouldn’t raise your blood pressure.  It’s an antihistamine.  It may cause drying of the eyes and mucous membranes.  I was on hydroxyzine pamoate, generic Vistaril.  I was taking it for nausea but it didn’t help.  I was also prescribed to take two capsules (50mg) at bedtime for sleep.  That didn’t help either.

After a very short time, it became paradoxical.  I got hyped up on it instead of drowsy.  I know you don’t want to read anything negative but it’s what happened to me.  We’re all different and react differently to meds.  My oldest brother has been taking it at bedtime for several months and sleeps like a baby.  Many people use it for anxiety with success.

I should have known better since Benadryl does the same thing. Again, it’s just my experience.  A lot of people on here have had great success with it as do many others. 

It’s an individual experience.  Don’t over think it.  You’ll more than likely have good result!

SG

💜

• 2 weeks later...
I take hydroxyzine pamoate and it helps me.  I have both 25 mg and 50 mg doses and right now, the 25 mg is the most I need.  It helps me with akathisia and insomnia, somewhat.  It takes the edge off.  It's safe, non-habituating and inexpensive.  I think it's a good drug for people suffering from psych drug withdrawal.  However, if one takes it too much, it tends to lose it's effectiveness and then doesn't do any good.  So, use it sparingly to get the best effect.  Benadryl does nothing for me, oddly enough.

• 2 weeks later...