Non-stop Nausea during Valium taper

[Be...]

Hi Everyone!!

Has anyone else experienced non-stop nausea from the time they started their benzo taper?? I mean, not necessarily debilitating but always there to some degree. Like many of you I have dropped a LOT of weight in a relatively short time. Enuf that my doctors are concerned - another merry go round of tests coming up. Just like for all of us.  :-[

Never give up tho...we’ll get through this together!!

Looking forward to some feedback, cuz as we all know this gets to be so discouraging at times.

Thanks  all. 

Belle67

Yup. Nausea was my worst and most persistent s/x. I lost about 40 pounds, couldn't eat anything but smoothies (protein shakes to keep me alive  :-[). Drank a lot of ginger tea, also.

But once my taper was over, that awful s/x went. 

I hope you folks don't have to wait as long as I did, but maybe know this: this rotten s/x does pass. I'm eating normally now. Gained back all my weight and then some.

Hang in there, guys.

:smitten:

Katz

Yup. Nausea was my worst and most persistent s/x. I lost about 40 pounds, couldn't eat anything but smoothies (protein shakes to keep me alive  :-[). Drank a lot of ginger tea, also.

But once my taper was over, that awful s/x went. 

I hope you folks don't have to wait as long as I did, but maybe know this: this rotten s/x does pass. I'm eating normally now. Gained back all my weight and then some.

Hang in there, guys.

Katz

Thanks Katz. It truly is the worst. I've been slow tapering for a year now and had this almost the whole time. Remeron has helped me to be able to eat, but now that I'm lower in K dose, even the Remeron can't override this anymore. I'm going for NAD IV in 2 weeks and am going to jump off of the remaining .125K I'll be on by then. I cannot spend another year in this condition. I've lost 54lbs. I'm nauseous all the time. I'm praying this goes away once I'm off. Holding doesn't help me anymore and I've even reduced my cut rate and I'm still really ill.

I hear you Fighter. Please let us know how the NAD treatment goes. The persistent day after day nausea nearly brought me to my knees on my taper -- I suffered from it for 3 miserable years. I sure hope you get some relief!!

Fingers crossed,

Katz

I too have had constant loss of appetite & nausea since I started my taper. But I had these symptoms before my CO and taper because I would not updose. It’s absolutely awful. But I know it is a symptom of withdrawal and my GP wanted to do all sorts of tests because he doesn’t believe all this could be happening to me in such a short period at such a low dose. But he was the one always pushing me to updose. I trust myself and follow the Ashton Manual and have faith in those that have journeyed here before me that this will all resolve when my brain is healed. I just take it day by day. Sometimes moment by moment. 🦋

Thank you for this post.  I have waves of overwhelming nausea.  Not steady thank god - but its bad when it happens.  Knowing I'm not the only one helps so much!    Question..... if you force yourself to eat does the nausea get better?

Nausea seems to be universal as is substantial weight loss. On my second taper in 4 years (thank you hospital meds) and on both occasions, lost about 10% body weight, and I looked half dead. Hair fell out in clumps. After end of first taper, weight returned to normal, hair grew back. This time about 60% done and slowly gaining back both.

Things I've done that helped: 1) Oral peppermint oil capsule for nausea and bloating. 2) Dramamine 25mg  oral when bad. Low level vertigo produces nausea.  3) Gentle massage of the intestines to relax gut. If bad, rub castor oil over abdomen and cover with piece of flannel cloth, then put hot water bottle on top. *Used in hospitals in the old days to stimulate peristalsis after surgery. Very soothing especially for cramps/bloating. 4) Menthol aroma often helps. I've used a tiny dab of Vick's under my nose. 5) If I could eat, took betaine hydrochloride (helps stomach acid) and Combizym (trade name for digestive enzyme for intestines) with meal. Your gut can't break things down normally due to the effect on GI serotonin production as well as GABA/ glutamate receptors throughout the GI tract.

What I ate/drank when having trouble:

1) Drink Oral Rehydration Solution. It's formulated by WHO to serve as an oral alternative to an IV. If you ask at the pharmacy, generally they can order it. Some camping stores stock it or look online.  Comes in dry sachet you add to water. In Asia, ubiquitously found in any pharmacy or 7-11. Why? Superior to any other drink to keep up electrolytes and prevent dehydration as it's got everything including bicarbonate, and not overloaded with sugar or salt like sports drinks. 

2) Any kind of smoothie or shake tolerated with added protein powder. Gives calories and spares muscle mass. If you can, add fresh fruit.

3) Small amounts of complex carbs like cooked rice, to give energy. If you can handle it, add butter/ghee. *If early AM shakes are bad, try some before bed to boost blood sugar, and prevent hypoglycemia when you wake.

4) Spoonfuls of nut butter.  Gives protein and fats.

Everybody has to find their own go to solutions. Hope something in the post is useful.

I cannot thank you each enough for taking the time to post your thoughtful replies. I am again inspired to keep on keeping on. xo all.

Belle67