Permanent Insomnia

[...]

Is it possible to permanently be unable to reach stages 3 and 4 of deep sleep? I haven’t slept in 2 years. When I sleep it’s always false and filled with dreams, mostly nightmares. The amount of hours doesn’t matter. I’m always fatigued and feel like I didn’t sleep at all. I’ve heard of REM rebound to “catch up” from lack of sleep, but for years? I don’t think so. I feel like I’m stuck in this pattern and I’m afraid that I won’t ever reach deep sleep again. If so, count me out of life.

DBM, at 19.5 months now, I've had the constant nightmares, also -- and the fatigue that comes with it all. That's not counting the complete insomnia during my years of tolerance and a year-long taper.

Here's an extract from a 'protracted' story on Baylissa's site:

'I gave up on ever being able to sleep properly again. Never had more than two hours since coming off the meds three-and-a-half years ago.' She then suddenly had a 7-hour night of deep sleep -- after all that time. This was immediately followed by more nights of deep sleep, and complete healing. She was able to get a new qualification, a new job, and went on to live a happy, healthy life.

Hang in there. We're doing it.

Wildflower

DBM, Wildflower, I feel for you. Insomnia was my biggest challenge once I was off my taper. I seemed to sleep in one or two-hour "bursts" with an hour or two of wakefulness in between. I was so fatigued in the morning I could hardly get out of bed. I truly despaired.

I won't bother you with the seemingly dozens of things I tried . . . I'll just mention what I use now. CBD marijuana. Through trial and error I found the dose that works for me. (I make my own tinctures, so it was easy to experiment with the dosage. If you don't make your own, just remember that in low doses CBD is activating; at higher doses, sedating). I sleep now solidy for seven hours and a bit more lightly for another one . . . then it's time to get up anyhow. I dream, but hardly remember my dreams when I wake up. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my insomnia "cure".

Hope this helps.

:smitten:

Katz

Thank you, Katz. Today is one of my worst days in a while. Pure torture.

I would run to the dispensary naked in a blizzard if I lived in a legal state, but I’m in a state that has yet to realize the benefit of legalization. I tried CBD, a high-end brand, with no luck. I would love to try CBD mixed with some indica THC as you recommend. I wish I could move just to access the medicine. Crazy. I’m glad it’s working for you!!

DBM, Wildflower, I feel for you. Insomnia was my biggest challenge once I was off my taper. I seemed to sleep in one or two-hour "bursts" with an hour or two of wakefulness in between. I was so fatigued in the morning I could hardly get out of bed. I truly despaired.

I won't bother you with the seemingly dozens of things I tried . . . I'll just mention what I use now. CBD marijuana. Through trial and error I found the dose that works for me. (I make my own tinctures, so it was easy to experiment with the dosage. If you don't make your own, just remember that in low doses CBD is activating; at higher doses, sedating). I sleep now solidy for seven hours and a bit more lightly for another one . . . then it's time to get up anyhow. I dream, but hardly remember my dreams when I wake up. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my insomnia "cure".

Hope this helps.

:smitten:

Katz

Katz, many thanks, both to you and Zurek. I've tried CBD at different doses, but for some reason it triggers psychoses in me. No idea why. But I'm so glad you found something that helps you.

What helps me now somewhat is ashwagandha tincture, quite a big dose, taken with a big dose of magnesium at night. The ashwagandha didn't help me at all earlier in w/d, but now it seems to help lower cortisol. I know everyone's different and some people report difficulty with magnesium, so I'm not saying it will work for everyone. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it might help someone else.

Wildflower23 - you are the only other person aside from myself to say cbd triggers psychosis! I can’t take it anymore post jump. I am 2 months off and still in such a bizarre scary place. How long before you could tolerate Ashwagandha and at what doseage? Hugs

Wildflower23 - you are the only other person aside from myself to say cbd triggers psychosis! I can’t take it anymore post jump. I am 2 months off and still in such a bizarre scary place. How long before you could tolerate Ashwagandha and at what doseage? Hugs

Miracle, I'm sorry you're going through this. To give you hope: the psychoses have all gone for me now (but I still avoid CBD). You're early in withdrawal. In time, the psychoses will leave, I promise you.

I tried ashwagandha during my taper, but it didn't seem to have any effect, so I never tried again until about 18 months off. Now it occasionally helps me sleep, but it's subtle and it doesn't always work. I started off taking the dose indicated on the bottle (depending on whether it comes in capsules or tincture form, the strength, etc.). I ended up doubling or even tripling that dose. Always start low and slow, and see how you react....

Hugs to you and wishes for a much better year. Hang in there, it will get better.

Wildflower, thank you sweetie. I appreciate your support. It’s so surreal that you me can experience these bizarre things so far out post taper. Just curious, how long is this early phase of withdrawal for most? It seems so prolonged at even 2 months. Hugs to you and may we all be blessed with a better year ahead!

Miracle, you're welcome! I hesitate to give a time frame, as we're all so different. For most people, it seems to last a few months. You can't go by my experience...if you read my signature, you'll see that I was poly-drugged and kindled for years. So for me, the acute phase lasted longer than most.

I know 2 months feel like a long time, and it is a long time to suffer. But it's very normal and to be expected that you'd still be there. Sucks, I know, but you're in good company!  ;) It will end.