Study finds raw Garlic affects GABA. Issue if eat raw garlic in excess?

[Tr...]

I've been using alot of raw garlic (2.3 of a head) these last few days to fight a cold. Each time I took the garlic in tea form or chewed it, I felt my symptoms rev to a new level with sedation. I stopped taking it on Christmas and now I feel like I'm back in acute (not that my baseline is great to begin with).

I'm not here for support and direction as that's not what Chewing the Fat is about, but I'd like to know if my intense symptoms are possibly from a setback from garlic or just the cytokines from the RSV/cold, which peaked on the 26th.

Apparently, the bioactive chemical in raw garlic has a half-life of 2.5 days, which would make sense considering I'm a little more than 2.5 days from my last garlic tea.

Here is a study showing how raw garlic affects GABA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537801/

Thanks so much

4mom,

How much raw garlic do you eat? Perhaps the amount if a major variable? I ate 2/3 of an entire head of garlic in just about 4 days.

I tried garlic earlier in wd and had to quit taking it because of being revved up. I avoided it for a very long time. I tried some when I was suffering a UTI, and the effects were less, but I still pretty much avoid it.

Hi trust

Garlic is chopped into small pieces and mixed with Chinese salad. I don't know how much, it's prepared by my helper. Maybe half a head for 4 to 5 days?

I will stop it anyway know others are having problems.

What are the symptoms do you get?

4Mom- My symptoms are intense internal pressure head and nerve body, agitation, mild akathisia (not a norm at all for me), fear, anxiety, roaring hissing sizzling tinnitus, sensory distortion (cars and sounds outside seem to echo and are demonic). All except the mild ak are norms for me many days but not nearly this bad.

Again, this could be from my body fighting off the infection who knows.

Skyblue- Beleive me, I know. That's why I took it- to fight this RSV. If you can tolerate it, it's a wonderful healing food for fighting viral, bacterial, and parasitic infections.

Terry- did it take you a while to bounce back after?

Here is a study showing how raw garlic affects GABA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537801/

The above study was conducted with male rats.  The findings suggested that AGE (aged garlic extract) can reverse the loss of cholinergic, glutamatergic, and GABAergic markers in cases of Aβ-induced neurotoxicity.  The 250mg/kg dose of AGE used was equivalent to 6.5g or 2–3 cloves of fresh garlic.

The authors speculated  “.... there may be health benefits associated with the consumption of aged garlic extract ....”

The above study was conducted with male rats.  The findings suggested that AGE (aged garlic extract) can reverse the loss of cholinergic, glutamatergic, and GABAergic markers in cases of Aβ-induced neurotoxicity.  The 250mg/kg dose of AGE used was equivalent to 6.5g or 2–3 cloves of fresh garlic.

The authors speculated  “.... there may be health benefits associated with the consumption of aged garlic extract ....”

Libertas,

Good catch! I posted the wrong one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2792615/

"In conclusion, garlic extract showed significant antidepressant-like activity probably by inhibiting MAO-A and MAO-B levels, and through interaction with adrenergic, dopaminergic, serotonergic and GABAergic systems." Even this is very vague and doesn't go into too much detail about how it modulates GABA (and I think it's mostly GABA B, but our neurochemistry isn't in a vacuum- mess with glutamate, MAO anything, serotonin, GABA B and there is down the path havoc for us SOMEtimes.

Anyway, I'm no neuroscientist and all of this is purely my subjective experience, and could really just be the cold/RSV inflammation revving symptoms.  Thanks for taking a peak and pointing out the flaw in the previous article.

4Mom,

I'm off the Klonopin since April of this year and I'm tapering my carvedilol (really slow). Down to 1/5 of the lowest therapeutic dose tablet. I'm sort of sensitive to histamines, other than that I don't eat much sugar (outside of fruits)- no alcohol, caffeine (I would die, already feel like I'm on meth), etc. I'm sensitive to meds and supplements though. Adverse reactions often. Foods I'm OK- I eat beef, cheese, pasta, but I tend to stay away from the processed fast-food and MSG if I can help it.

I'm sorry you're suffering too...

[31...]

Thanks for the newer link,

as I got somewhat confused by the first one

thought it was me,  :laugh: :laugh:

I also think that it depends a lot on how far off drugs

you are and how sensitive the system is to many things

till things balance out more, and the body adjust to

the new  healthier you.

I actually can now tolerate many many  things, that I discounted

and even threw away earlier in this process.  :idiot: :idiot:

Now at 5 1/2 years free from drugs many things help including the

garlic.    :thumbsup:

Listen to your body.  Trust your own guidance for now.  :smitten:

Thanks for the newer link,

as I got somewhat confused by the first one

thought it was me,  :laugh: :laugh:

I also think that it depends a lot on how far off drugs

you are and how sensitive the system is to many things

till things balance out more, and the body adjust to

the new  healthier you.

I actually can now tolerate many many  things, that I discounted

and even threw away earlier in this process.  :idiot: :idiot:

Now at 5 1/2 years free from drugs many things help including the

garlic.    :thumbsup:

Listen to your body.  Trust your own guidance for now.  :smitten:

Amen! I'm glad your doing better too!

4Mom- My symptoms are intense internal pressure head and nerve body, agitation, mild akathisia (not a norm at all for me), fear, anxiety, roaring hissing sizzling tinnitus, sensory distortion (cars and sounds outside seem to echo and are demonic). All except the mild ak are norms for me many days but not nearly this bad.

Again, this could be from my body fighting off the infection who knows.

Skyblue- Beleive me, I know. That's why I took it- to fight this RSV. If you can tolerate it, it's a wonderful healing food for fighting viral, bacterial, and parasitic infections.

Terry- did it take you a while to bounce back after?

I don't think it took me long, but I must have had a bad reaction because I stayed far away from it for years.

"In conclusion, garlic extract showed significant antidepressant-like activity probably by inhibiting MAO-A and MAO-B levels, and through interaction with adrenergic, dopaminergic, serotonergic and GABAergic systems." Even this is very vague and doesn't go into too much detail about how it modulates GABA (and I think it's mostly GABA B, but our neurochemistry isn't in a vacuum- mess with glutamate, MAO anything, serotonin, GABA B and there is down the path havoc for us SOMEtimes.

Anyway, I'm no neuroscientist and all of this is purely my subjective experience, and could really just be the cold/RSV inflammation revving symptoms.  Thanks for taking a peak and pointing out the flaw in the previous article.

Hi TrustGod828,

I wonder if this is the problem with plucking citations off the internet and jumping to the conclusion of the study and assuming it applies to us?  I'm not a neuroscientist either, so I have no way of knowing if these conclusions apply to our situation but when we post links such as this, many members are going to think it does since you can't argue with a scientific link, can you?

I'm not questioning what happened to you, I'm questioning whether this study applies to our situation.  To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've actually read one of these links and I'm sorry I did.  What the researchers did to those poor mice broke my heart, forced swim tests, tail suspensions, it hurt to read it, but I'm an old softie.

Pamster

Hi TrustGod828,

I wonder if this is the problem with plucking citations off the internet and jumping to the conclusion of the study and assuming it applies to us?  I'm not a neuroscientist either, so I have no way of knowing if these conclusions apply to our situation but when we post links such as this, many members are going to think it does since you can't argue with a scientific link, can you?

I'm not questioning what happened to you, I'm questioning whether this study applies to our situation.  To tell you the truth, this is the first time I've actually read one of these links and I'm sorry I did.  What the researchers did to those poor mice broke my heart, forced swim tests, tail suspensions, it hurt to read it, but I'm an old softie.

Pamster

Panster,

I'm not arguing with you there at all. I definitely want want to contribute to health anxiety hysteria. I guess in my kind after hearing about so many bad reactions to garlic I assumed they were connected and with the timing of my symyloms and ingesting the garlic I thought perhaps it's because of the tweaking of GABA. In desperate haste (and brain fog) I posted the wrong link. Still, I completely agree. I don't completely understand the implications of either study as there is no conclusive evidence either way. This would have perhaps been better posted in the Post-Withdrawal forum without the link or perhaps the Alternative Therapy forum.  I'd be OK if the mods want to take this post down to not confuse members.

Don't get me started on the way animals are treated in the name of science esp in Big Pharma labs. I'm sorry that the link was triggering

Hi TrustGod828,

Pamster

Panster,

I'm not arguing with you there at all. I definitely want want to contribute to health anxiety hysteria. I guess in my kind after hearing about so many bad reactions to garlic I assumed they were connected and with the timing of my symyloms and ingesting the garlic I thought perhaps it's because of the tweaking of GABA. In desperate haste (and brain fog) I posted the wrong link. Still, I completely agree. I don't completely understand the implications of either study as there is no conclusive evidence either way. This would have perhaps been better posted in the Post-Withdrawal forum without the link or perhaps the Alternative Therapy forum.  I'd be OK if the mods want to take this post down to not confuse members.

Don't get me started on the way animals are treated in the name of science esp in Big Pharma labs. I'm sorry that the link was triggering

We won't take your post down TrustGod, every thread helps someone in some way, this is how it works.  We struggle to understand what's happening to us and we reach for answers wherever we can find them.  Each thread has a life of it's own and oftentimes they end up far from the beginning, but along the way information comes forth and we all learn from it.

I returned to the forum in September after being gone for 8 years and I've seen a change.  There is more fear, fear of antibiotics, exercise, food and more and while I agree it's good to be aware of activities and substances which seem to affect us, I see members who are so frightened of just about everything they're making unwise decisions about their general health.  Fear is a withdrawal symptom and I feel we're feeding into it, not seeing it for what it is, a symptom.

All of this concerns me and I hope with your help and the help of other members we can reassure each other about what is happening for many of us is most likely the waxing and waning of our symptoms and not attributable to any specific substance or activity.  Of course, there will be those who are more sensitive to external influences and you may be one, but I hope that together we can help the greater community by lessening our fear.

Hi TrustGod828,

Pamster

Panster,

We won't take your post down TrustGod, every thread helps someone in some way, this is how it works.  We struggle to understand what's happening to us and we reach for answers wherever we can find them.  Each thread has a life of it's own and oftentimes they end up far from the beginning, but along the way information comes forth and we all learn from it.

I returned to the forum in September after being gone for 8 years and I've seen a change.  There is more fear, fear of antibiotics, exercise, food and more and while I agree it's good to be aware of activities and substances which seem to affect us, I see members who are so frightened of just about everything they're making unwise decisions about their general health.  Fear is a withdrawal symptom and I feel we're feeding into it, not seeing it for what it is, a symptom.

All of this concerns me and I hope with your help and the help of other members we can reassure each other about what is happening for many of us is most likely the waxing and waning of our symptoms and not attributable to any specific substance or activity.  Of course, there will be those who are more sensitive to external influences and you may be one, but I hope that together we can help the greater community by lessening our fear.

Pamster,

I can tell through the sincerity of your words that there has been a change. Is there anything that you attribute to that? Was there a different moderation style back then, or perhaps it's more existential--  the world itself is more fearful. Distrust of the medical community beyond those harmed by meds (anti-vax, even the general public these days). Distrust of authority etc.  Maybe there is no rhyme or reason.

I agree that while fear is a survival mechanism, unchecked it is very dangerous. There's a difference between being cautious of X, Y, or Z and being against X, Y, or Z without weighing pros and cons. As you point out, antibiotics are a huge subject here (and rightly so), but that doesn't mean we blindly ignore that they don't have their very pertinent life-saving place in appropriate situations.

Anyway, I don't want to contribute to the fear. I'll be more cautious posting links to studies. We aren't an anti-science or anti-medicine community here and my mistake could contribute to others thinking so. Perhaps I should have asked in the post-title for some feedback on the study or the possibility of excess amounts of raw garlic causing an adverse reaction.

I really do want to encourage others. And I do. Some days though, I need just as much encouraging as the next person.  Hope is just as important as time in our cases. 

Pamster,

I can tell through the sincerity of your words that there has been a change. Is there anything that you attribute to that? Was there a different moderation style back then, or perhaps it's more existential--  the world itself is more fearful. Distrust of the medical community beyond those harmed by meds (anti-vax, even the general public these days). Distrust of authority etc.  Maybe there is no rhyme or reason.

I agree that while fear is a survival mechanism, unchecked it is very dangerous. There's a difference between being cautious of X, Y, or Z and being against X, Y, or Z without weighing pros and cons. As you point out, antibiotics are a huge subject here (and rightly so), but that doesn't mean we blindly ignore that they don't have their very pertinent life-saving place in appropriate situations.

Anyway, I don't want to contribute to the fear. I'll be more cautious posting links to studies. We aren't an anti-science or anti-medicine community here and my mistake could contribute to others thinking so. Perhaps I should have asked in the post-title for some feedback on the study or the possibility of excess amounts of raw garlic causing an adverse reaction.

I really do want to encourage others. And I do. Some days though, I need just as much encouraging as the next person.  Hope is just as important as time in our cases.

Your words give me hope TrustGod, thank you.  I believe that together we can enlighten, inform and give hope to our suffering members and you deserve this just as much as any other member.  I believe the climate of the forum reflects the climate of the world we currently live in but I'd like to think that here, in our own little world we can find a way to come together to help one another. 

Discussions are great and I'm learning just as you are how important it is to choose how we use our words, I have members who read my mine and remind me of this quite often.  :)  I hope you'll continue to contribute to the forum, each of us have something to give and I enjoy reading what you have to say.

[31...]

Potent blood thinner (ie. increased bleeding risk).

Also, https://www.livestrong.com/article/518790-effects-of-too-much-garlic-on-human-body/

From that link....

Garlic has natural anti-clotting properties. Though this may benefit the heart and circulation, the NCCIH and the Mayo Clinic warn that it can pose a

risk of bleeding for people who use anticoagulants or blood thinners such as warfarin.

If you're experiencing unpleasant side effects when eating too much garlic, try not to use garlic in large portions.

Instead, eat what you can tolerate and avoid garlic supplements, as they may not have the effect that you are hoping for.