Author Topic: Study finds raw Garlic affects GABA. Issue if eat raw garlic in excess?  (Read 478 times)

[Buddie]

I've been using alot of raw garlic (2.3 of a head) these last few days to fight a cold. Each time I took the garlic in tea form or chewed it, I felt my symptoms rev to a new level with sedation. I stopped taking it on Christmas and now I feel like I'm back in acute (not that my baseline is great to begin with).

I'm not here for support and direction as that's not what Chewing the Fat is about, but I'd like to know if my intense symptoms are possibly from a setback from garlic or just the cytokines from the RSV/cold, which peaked on the 26th.

Apparently, the bioactive chemical in raw garlic has a half-life of 2.5 days, which would make sense considering I'm a little more than 2.5 days from my last garlic tea.

Here is a study showing how raw garlic affects GABA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537801/

Thanks so much
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Study finds raw Garlic affects GABA. Issue if eat raw garlic in excess?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 04:28:17 pm »
Interesting finding, so far ok to eat raw garlic even I am extremely sensitive to most food since being off 5.5 months ago
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 04:40:02 pm »
[...],

How much raw garlic do you eat? Perhaps the amount if a major variable? I ate 2/3 of an entire head of garlic in just about 4 days.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 05:55:05 pm »
I tried garlic earlier in wd and had to quit taking it because of being revved up. I avoided it for a very long time. I tried some when I was suffering a UTI, and the effects were less, but I still pretty much avoid it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
 Hi trust

Garlic is chopped into small pieces and mixed with Chinese salad. I don't know how much, it's prepared by my helper. Maybe half a head for 4 to 5 days?

I will stop it anyway know others are having problems.

What are the symptoms do you get?

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 06:44:24 pm »
I find it very beneficial for me personally.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6678835/

We are all different I guess.   :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 06:52:35 pm »
[...]- My symptoms are intense internal pressure head and nerve body, agitation, mild akathisia (not a norm at all for me), fear, anxiety, roaring hissing sizzling tinnitus, sensory distortion (cars and sounds outside seem to echo and are demonic). All except the mild ak are norms for me many days but not nearly this bad.

Again, this could be from my body fighting off the infection who knows.

Skyblue- Beleive me, I know. That's why I took it- to fight this RSV. If you can tolerate it, it's a wonderful healing food for fighting viral, bacterial, and parasitic infections.

[...]- did it take you a while to bounce back after?

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 07:45:10 pm »
Here is a study showing how raw garlic affects GABA: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537801/

The above study was conducted with male rats.  The findings suggested that AGE (aged garlic extract) can reverse the loss of cholinergic, glutamatergic, and GABAergic markers in cases of Aβ-induced neurotoxicity.  The 250mg/kg dose of AGE used was equivalent to 6.5g or 23 cloves of fresh garlic.

The authors speculated  .... there may be health benefits associated with the consumption of aged garlic extract ....

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 08:05:07 pm »
I'm so sorry you are suffering so badly too trust!

Are you sensitive to any other thing?

Also, are you off all meds or still tapering?

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 08:29:57 pm »

The above study was conducted with male rats.  The findings suggested that AGE (aged garlic extract) can reverse the loss of cholinergic, glutamatergic, and GABAergic markers in cases of Aβ-induced neurotoxicity.  The 250mg/kg dose of AGE used was equivalent to 6.5g or 23 cloves of fresh garlic.

The authors speculated  .... there may be health benefits associated with the consumption of aged garlic extract ....

[...],

Good catch! I posted the wrong one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2792615/

"In conclusion, garlic extract showed significant antidepressant-like activity probably by inhibiting MAO-A and MAO-B levels, and through interaction with adrenergic, dopaminergic, serotonergic and GABAergic systems." Even this is very vague and doesn't go into too much detail about how it modulates GABA (and I think it's mostly GABA B, but our neurochemistry isn't in a vacuum- mess with glutamate, MAO anything, serotonin, GABA B and there is down the path havoc for us SOMEtimes.

Anyway, I'm no neuroscientist and all of this is purely my subjective experience, and could really just be the cold/RSV inflammation revving symptoms.  Thanks for taking a peak and pointing out the flaw in the previous article.

[...],

I'm off the Klonopin since April of this year and I'm tapering my carvedilol (really slow). Down to 1/5 of the lowest therapeutic dose tablet. I'm sort of sensitive to histamines, other than that I don't eat much sugar (outside of fruits)- no alcohol, caffeine (I would die, already feel like I'm on meth), etc. I'm sensitive to meds and supplements though. Adverse reactions often. Foods I'm OK- I eat beef, cheese, pasta, but I tend to stay away from the processed fast-food and MSG if I can help it.

I'm sorry you're suffering too...