3 months off lorazapam and now have insomnia and anxiety

[Wi...]

I was on Xanax then lorazapam for apx.12 yrs. I am older also. I did slow water taper, and after was ok for first 2 months, then "BAM" 3rd month  it started over. Withdrawl.  They call it a wave.  Insomnia and anxiety,  I need  some peace, this is so hard. I thought once off everything would be normal, but NO.  We are still healing they say.  I pray I hurry up and heal.  :'(   

I'm in the same boat.  I was on 2 mgs of lorazapam and cross tapered to diazepam 20 mgs.  Slowly tapered down.  Been off for about 3 months.  Now I'm having panic attacks, horrible anxiety and insomnia.  It's so hard!  I wis I knew when this will end...

I'm sorry, I feel the same. I tried propranolol  it worked the first night then didnt.  I tried hydroxyzine  it worked first night ( probably because I was so exhausted.)  Then it didnt work next night. But in all fairness I'm not sure how much I should take. 10mg wasnt enough. You could try them one or the other, they do help some people. I'm going to keep trying.  Good luck my friend.  :angel: keep in touch if you would like misery loves company.    :-[

Isn't it awful to realize that getting off of the drug doesn't mean an end to our suffering?  I finally read a post one of our members wrote a few years back, this member wasn't around when I was going through my withdrawal, I wish I would have been able to read it then because it explains what is happening in terms I can understand.  I hope you'll take a look at it and it helps you understand what is happening to you.  Our brains are a miracle and we just have to give them time to heal.

What is happening in your brain

Thanks for your posts. I am just beginning my lorazepam dry taper. I’ve been on various doses between 1mg-3mg over the past 2 years. I am embarrassed to say that I did not know this was a benzodiazepene medication. I went through a c/t from clonazepam 2 years earlier and swore I would never go back on a benzo ever again. I believe in benzo brain injury now that I have found this and several other resources. I was never healed from the c/t before I was put on lorazepam. Maybe I would be healed by now, who knows. But I am facing this taper with much more information than I did when I c/t’d from clonazepam. However, I have to admit I was very discouraged when I read the initial post here. I am so focused on getting done this taper and “moving on”. And didn’t think about the possibility that this could (and likely will) go on for much longer than that. It is so discouraging and frustrating! The thing I fear the most, and which I am starting to encounter, is insomnia. I quickly deteriorate when I don’t get adequate sleep. Some people can function on little sleep. I am not that girl. Please come back and share updates on how you are doing and offer some hope to those of us following behind you. Also, I would like to know more about propranolol and hydroxizine. Are these meds which require a script or are they OTC? Thanks for sharing. Peace and healing to you all!

I have bipolar and I'm taking hydroxyzine.  I'm also taking gabapentin,  I know people are against that here but I have to sleep.  I'm also taking melotonin.  I got 10 hours of sleep last night.  Propanolol doesn't really do much for me.  You do need a prescription for hydroxyzine and propanolol.  I feel less anxious today.  Just started the melotonin last night.  It helped.

Hope that info helps you. 

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list.  I was on Xanax for 10+ years for insomnia.  Dextox center did at fast taper of three weeks (at the time I had no idea about any of this stuff).  I had never had

daily generalized anxiety.  But I got it during this benzo withdrawal.  I am 8 months benzo free and still struggling.  I work part-time, however before detox I worked full-time.

My worst symptom today is pressure in my head, mostly behind my right eye. Still have pins & needles in my handles, but it seems to be subsiding.